About This Chapter
Chemical Reactions & Biochemistry - Chapter Summary
This collection of fun video lessons explains basic biochemistry and chemical reaction topics. As you progress through the chapter, you'll define key chemical reaction terms and review relevant scientific laws, theories and principles. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Describe the effects of chemical reactions
- Explain the significance of collision theory
- Use the law of conservation of mass equation
- Summarize LeChatelier's principle
- Evaluate the role of carbon in living organisms
The chapter is entirely self-paced, and you can use any computer or mobile device to study. To help you reinforce your understanding of these concepts, we've included lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. If you wish to study offline, you can print the accompanying word-for-word lesson transcripts. Our instructors are also happy to answer any questions you may have about biochemistry and chemical reactions.
1. What Is a Chemical Reaction? - Definition & Effects
Sometimes, molecules look different on the outside, but only their physical appearance has changed. Other times, through chemical reactions, molecules change both inside and out, meaning both their physical and chemical properties have changed.
2. Collision Theory: Definition & Significance
This lesson will define and explain collision theory and explore how it is related to chemical reactions and reaction rates. So if you've ever wondered how two particles combine to form a new product, read on!
3. The Law of Conservation of Mass: Definition, Equation & Examples
Read about the law of conservation of mass, its role in chemistry, and its importance in the universe. Learn the equation, review examples, and test your knowledge of the material with a short quiz.
4. LeChatelier's Principle: Disruption and Re-Establishment of Equilibrium
Learn how Le Chatelier's Principle describes the disruption and re-establishment of equilibrium. Learn to explain the factors that disrupt equilibrium, such as concentration, temperature, and pressure. Learn how each of these factors affects a system in equilibrium.
5. What Is Carbon? - Definition & Role in Living Organisms
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what carbon is, how it is used in biological processes and why it is so vital to life on Earth. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest I - General Science (215): Practice & Study Guide course
- Performing Scientific Investigations
- Analysis & Conclusions in Scientific Investigations
- Math Concepts & Scientific Data Analysis
- Engineering Practices, Design & Applications
- Crosscutting Concepts in Science & Engineering
- Understanding Atoms, Elements & the Periodic Table
- Overview of Nuclear Energy
- Overview of Matter
- Overview of Newton's Laws of Motion
- Pressure, Fluid Flow & Buoyancy
- Understanding Types of Force
- Graphs of Motion
- Understanding Waves
- Types of Energy & Energy Transfers
- Electricity & Magnetism Fundamentals
- Understanding Cell Structure & Functions
- Overview of Plant Biology
- Energy Transfer in Organisms
- Understanding Basics of Ecology
- Overview of Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Principles of Heredity
- Understanding Basics of Evolution
- Formation of the Universe
- Overview of Astronomy
- Earth's Materials, Systems & Surface Processes
- Overview of Plate Tectonics
- Basics of Weather & Climate
- Energy Transfer & Climate Change
- Natural Resources & Hazards
- CSET General Science Subtest 1 Flashcards