About This Chapter
Chemical Reactions & Kinetics - Chapter Summary
Our instructors outline kinetics and chemical reactions in this collection of short but informative lessons. You'll study the process of oxidation, the benefits of antioxidants and the foods that contain them, among other kinetics topics. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to do the following:
- Provide an example of a reducing agent
- Outline the types of acidic oxides in chemistry
- Detail the properties and structure of sulfuric acid
- Explain what potassium chromate is used for
- Identify mathematical representations for first-order reactions
- Discuss rate laws and the rate constant
- Define the rate determining step
Our study materials have been designed to support you in the learning process through access to professional instructors and mobile-friendly learning tools. The lessons use an easy-to-understand instructional approach and plenty of real-world examples. Video transcripts and text lessons contain keywords set off in bold print for easy identification and can be printed for offline review.
1. What is Oxidation? - Definition, Process & Examples
In this lesson, learn about oxidation and its process, and examine some examples of oxidation, including the mystery of browning fruit. Then, measure what you've learned with a quiz.
2. What Are Antioxidants? - Definition, Foods & Benefits
In this lesson, you will learn about antioxidants and why they are important to your health. You will also learn how to incorporate foods that are rich in antioxidants into your daily diet.
3. Reducing Agent: Definition & Examples
What is a reducing agent, and what does it do? Watch this video to find out. We'll also explore a couple of examples of everyday reactions that involve reducing agents.
4. Sulfuric Acid: Formula, Structure & Properties
Would you ever put a dangerous acid inside of your mouth? Probably not. But some people might. Find out why on this lesson on sulfuric acid and its formula, structure, properties, and more!
5. Potassium Chromate: Uses & Formula
Despite its severe toxicity to human health, there are many different uses for the chemical compound potassium chromate. Learn about potassium chromate, its uses, and its chemical formula.
6. First-Order Reactions: Definition & Mathematical Representation
In this lesson, we'll talk about first-order reactions like radioactive decay. We'll use the mathematical descriptions of these reactions to discuss their behavior.
7. Rate Constant and Rate Laws
Learn what the rate law is and how the rate constant relates to it. Learn what reaction order is and how to determine reaction order when given experimental data containing concentration and reaction rate.
8. Reaction Mechanisms and The Rate Determining Step
This lesson explores what a reaction mechanism is and how it relates to the speed of a reaction. You'll discover how to pinpoint the rate-determining step and learn how to write a rate law based on the rate-determining step.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MHT-CET: Practice & Study Guide course
- Circular Motion & Gravitation
- Understanding Oscillations
- Understanding Rotational Motion
- Equilibrium & Elasticity
- Electric Force & Charge
- Current Electricity
- Using Electricity in Engineering
- Electromagnetic Induction & Magnetism
- Wave Motion
- Understanding Sound Waves
- Light Waves
- Kinetic Theory of Gasses & Radiation
- Atoms, Molecules & Nuclei in Physics
- Surface Tension & Energy
- Matter, Atomic Structure & Chemical Bonding
- D-Block Elements, Halogens, Noble Gases & Alcohols
- Basic Measurement in Chemistry
- Understanding Chemical Solutions
- Concepts of Organic Chemistry
- Crystallization & Hydrogenation
- Applications of Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Variance, Probability & Distributions
- Geometry & 3D Shapes
- Overview of Basic Trigonometry
- Function Operations, Limits & Properties
- Exponents & Logarithms
- Linear Systems
- Vectors in Math
- Introduction to Matrices
- Calculation of Derivatives
- Applications of Derivatives in Calculus
- Integrals & Definite Integrals
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Logic & Algebra
- Plant Reproduction & Growth
- Plant Respiration & Photosynthesis
- DNA, Mendelian Genetics & Inheritance
- Introduction to Genetic Engineering
- Characteristics of Birds & Mammals
- Human Anatomy: Neurology and Endocrinology
- Human Anatomy: Cardiology, Nephrology and Immunology
- Reproduction & Contraception
- Human Disease & Diagnostic Technology
- Origins of Life
- Concepts in Pharmacology
- Concepts in Ecology
- MHT-CET Flashcards