About This Chapter
Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, the short-hand way to identify a compound on the periodic table, its chemical symbol, is explained. The information provided by chemical formulas is detailed, as well as how to balance chemical equations using the law of conservation of matter. One type of chemical reaction called a combination reaction is defined with examples.
While making your way through the videos, you will also learn how oxidation-reduction reactions, or redox reactions for short, transfer electrons. These lessons will prepare you to:
- Identify common elements on the periodic table with their chemical symbol
- Differentiate between chemical formulas
- Write both formula and word equations
- Explain how combination reactions work
- Use handy mnemonic devices to help you remember if an atom is reducing or oxidizing
Test your knowledge of the above topics by taking our short quizzes. If you need help as you work through the chapter, contact one of our instructors for help. These study materials are accessible to you at any time, 24 hours a day. Use each lesson's printable transcript to make a copy you can study offline as well.
1. Chemical Symbol: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn that a chemical symbol is a short-hand way to represent an element and each element on the periodic table has a unique chemical symbol. You'll become familiar with identifying some common elements by their chemical symbol.
2. What is a Chemical Formula? - Definition, Types & Examples
Chemical formulas provide a lot of information about chemical substances, such as how many and what atoms they are made of, as well as the way the atoms are arranged. In this lesson, we'll discuss the different types of chemical formulas.
3. Chemical Reactions and Balancing Chemical Equations
In this lesson, you'll learn how to balance a chemical reaction equation using the conservation of matter law. You'll also learn how to write both word and formula equations, what the subscripts after a letter mean and what the numbers in front of compounds mean.
4. Combination Reaction: Definition & Examples
There many types of chemical reactions. In a combination reaction, you can predict the product if you know what goes into it. Find out more about combination reactions and see some examples.
5. Redox (Oxidation-Reduction) Reactions: Definitions and Examples
This short video will explain oxidation-reduction reactions, or redox reactions for short. The focus is on how electrons are transferred during redox reactions. Learn some neat mnemonic devices to help you remember when an atom is oxidizing or reducing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Motion in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Understanding Heat Transfer
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Electric Currents & Power
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Health Science Basics
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Achievements of Famous Scientists
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards