About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other chemistry work.
- Identify the chemistry of nucleic acids concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our chemistry tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the chemistry of nucleic acids and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the chemical structure of nucleic acids, the differences between DNA and RNA, complementary base pairing or any other chemistry of nucleic acids topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their chemistry of nucleic acids unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in chemistry
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the chemistry of nucleic acids simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live chemistry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the chemistry of nucleic acids on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the chemical structure of nucleic acids and phosphodiester bonds.
- Explain complementary base pairing in DNA.
- Discuss the double helix structure of DNA.
- Learn the differences between DNA and RNA.
1. DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
Nucleic acids are large biomolecules used to store, transfer and convey genetic information in cells. Explore the structure of nucleotides and what polynucleotide and phosphodiester bonds do.
2. DNA: Adenine, Guanine, Cytosine, Thymine & Complementary Base Pairing
The four nitrogenous bases found is DNA are adenine, guanine, cytosine and thymine. Discover the base pairs of these nitrogenous bases and why DNA strands are antiparallel.
3. DNA: Discovery, Facts, Structure & Function in Heredity
The discovery of DNA is the foundation of all research in molecular biology. Learn the facts about the discovery of DNA, its structure, and the function of DNA in heredity.
4. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
DNA and RNA, the nucleic acids essential in molecular biology, differ in their sugar components. Learn about the differences between DNA and RNA, which includes mRNA, tRNA, and rRNA, and discover the differences in their structure and their functions.
5. Nitrogenous Base: Definition & Pairs
A molecule that contains nitrogen and has the chemical properties of a base is called a nitrogenous base. Examine and define nitrogenous bases, and how DNA and RNA link with base pairs.
6. What is Ribose? - Structure, Overview
Ribose is classified as a simple sugar but is one of the major components required by both DNA and RNA. Learn about the structure of this compound and explore an overview of the role of ribose in the body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Measurement and Problem Solving: Tutoring Solution
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- What Is Matter? - Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Atomic Structure: Tutoring Solution
- The Periodic Table of Elements: Tutoring Solution
- The Representative Elements of the Periodic Table: Tutoring Solution
- Nuclear Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Bonding: Tutoring Solution
- Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids: Tutoring Solution
- Gases in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Solutions in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Acids, Bases and Reactions: Tutoring Solution
- Equilibrium: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry Kinetics: Tutoring Solution
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Organic Chemistry Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry of DNA Replication: Tutoring Solution