About This Chapter
Child Abuse, Neglect & Delinquency - Chapter Summary
This series of short juvenile delinquency lessons examines the effects that child abuse and neglect can have on the growth and development of children and adolescents. After defining the characteristics of child abuse, you'll explore the effects of child abuse and neglect, as well as protective services and legal measures that are used to investigate instances of abuse. Take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you take away the most important concepts from the chapter. You can study at any time that fits your schedule, and our instructors will be happy to answer any questions you have about the material. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define child abuse
- Recognize the characteristics of people who neglect or abuse children
- Understand how abuse and neglect affects a child's growth and development
- Explain the ways in which sexual harassment and abuse can negatively affect an adolescent's development
- Assess the purpose of the child protective services system
- Evaluate legal issues and court processes concerning child abuse investigations
- Outline the cycle of violence pertaining to child abuse and juvenile delinquency
1. What is Child Abuse? - Definition & Facts
Did you know that more than five children die each day from child abuse? In this lesson, learn about the different types of child abuse, general statistics, and more.
2. Characteristics of People Who Abuse or Neglect Children
While it's prudent to look for signs of child abuse or neglect on the child, let's not forget to look at the other angle, at the potential abuser. This lesson provides some signs and characteristics you should look out for regarding people who abuse or neglect children.
3. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
4. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
5. Child Protective Services System: Philosophy & Purpose
Every state in the United States has a child protective service system. In this lesson, we will learn the philosophy and purpose of the system, and how it works to achieve its purpose.
6. Cycle of Violence: Child Abuse & Juvenile Delinquency
The number of child abuse cases that are reported on an annual basis is alarming. This lesson will examine whether a link exists between child abuse and juvenile delinquency that perpetuates the cycle of violence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Juvenile Delinquency: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Nature & Extent of Delinquency
- Individual Theories of Delinquency
- Sociological Theories of Delinquency
- Developmental Theories of Delinquency
- Gender & Family Influences on Delinquency
- Peer & Media Influences on Delinquency
- School Influences on Delinquency
- Drug Use Among Juveniles
- Juvenile Policing
- Juvenile Justice System Overview
- Juvenile Corrections Overview
- UExcel Juvenile Delinquency Flashcards