About This Chapter
Child & Adolescent Psychopathology - Chapter Summary
Our instructors will review childhood and adolescent psychological disorders in this chapter and their impact on learning. You'll gain an overview of various theories, and learn how various drug treatments can affect students. Topics include mental health development and developmental abnormalities. After watching these lessons, you should be able to:
- Define and discuss perspectives on lifespan development disorders
- Explain mental health development through adolescence
- Show how developmental abnormalities impact learning in children
- Review the relation between mental health and educational outcomes
- Explore psychopharmacology and its effects on children and adolescents
Our expert instructors will guide you through these brief and engaging video and text lessons. Quizzes at the end let you assess what you've just learned. If you need to review certain passages, video tags let you link back to the right spot in the video without having to watch the whole lesson again. Every lesson is accompanied by a written transcript, and some have video links to text lessons with more information.
1. Lifespan Development Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone grows and changes throughout their life, but why do some people have developmental problems? In this lesson, we'll look at common lifespan development disorders and major theories about how people develop them.
2. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
3. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
4. The Impact of Mental Health Issues on Educational Outcomes
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the various ways in which mental health issues can affect a person's education outcomes. This includes the interactions between mental disorders and things like concentration, stamina, and pressure.
5. Psychopharmacology & Its Impact on Students
In this lesson, we will look at the more common issues students have that can benefit from medication treatments. We will also look at the impact this kind of medication treatment will have on those students in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis School Psychologist (5402): Practice & Study Guide course
- Problem Identification in School Psychology
- Theories of Intelligence
- Developmental Psychology & Measurement
- Assessment & Problem Analysis in School Psychology
- Knowledge of Measurement Theory & Principles
- Psychological Assessment of Special Populations
- Psychological Consultation & Collaboration in School Settings
- Developing Academic Skills
- Goal Setting & Student Motivation
- Academic Success & Failure
- Primary, Secondary & Tertiary Preventive Strategies for the Classroom
- School-Based Intervention & Techniques
- School-wide Practices to Promote Learning
- Preventive & Responsive Schools Services
- Family-School Collaboration Services
- Individual Learning Characteristics
- Effect of Cultural & Background Differences on Education
- Diversity in Development & Learning
- Education Research & Program Evaluation
- Ethical Principles in Psychology
- Legal Issues in Psychology
- Case Law in Education Psychology
- Professional Foundations: Learning Strategies
- Praxis School Psychologist Flashcards