About This Chapter
Child & Teen Abuse - Chapter Summary
From defining child abuse to outlining the role a teacher can play in helping an abused child, this chapter covers the effects and influences of abuse on children and adolescents. Lessons cover abuse statistics and signs, as well as ways to help victims. This chapter presents details about the following topics:
- Types of child abuse
- General statistics regarding child abuse
- Warning signs of abuse and neglect
- Characteristics of child abusers
- Negative influence of abuse on child development
- Sexual harassment and abuse and their effects on adolescents
- Ways teachers can provide support and assistance to abused children
Brief video and text lessons provide short bits of information in 10 minutes or less so you can quickly review these details. Accessibility at all times, on any device, allows you to reference these resources any time or place you need them. Confirm your understanding of this material by taking the self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson.
How It Helps
- Increases awareness: Gives you overviews of different types of abuse so you are more aware of potential signs of this behavior.
- Outlines student support strategies: Presents ways in which teachers can provide first-line support to students suffering from abuse.
- Reduces the risk of escalating abuse: Relates ways teachers can spot early signs of abuse and take steps to prevent the abuse from continuing.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Provide details about different types of child and teen abuse
- Recognize warning signs of abuse
- Understand the impact abuse has on child and adolescent development
- Apply intervention strategies for abused students in your classroom
1. What is Child Abuse? - Definition & Facts
Did you know that more than five children die each day from child abuse? In this lesson, learn about the different types of child abuse, general statistics, and more.
2. What is Psychological Abuse? - Definition & Overview
This lesson defines psychological abuse and gives a brief overview of what this type of abuse is. Behaviors that can be expected and potential victim reactions are also mentioned.
3. Warning Signs of Child Neglect
Children should never be neglected. Unfortunately, they are. Learn about the meaning of child neglect and what warning signs to look out for so you can help put an end to it.
4. Warning Signs of Child Abuse
Children who are abused need immediate help. They may not even understand that they are victims. This lesson will help you spot some of the many signs of child abuse.
5. The Impact of Abuse and Neglect on Child Growth & Development
A healthy family relationship can contribute positively to the growth and development of a child. Unfortunately, unhealthy and abusive relationships do occur. This lesson will describe characteristics of abusers and the impact of abuse on a child's growth and development.
6. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
7. Helping Traumatized Children in the Classroom
When children have experienced traumatic events, it can be difficult to know how to relate to them properly. This lesson will give you some ideas about your role as a teacher in helping traumatized children in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the School Violence Prevention course
- Social & Emotional Development During Childhood
- Behavioral & Mental Health in Childhood & Adolescence
- Challenges in Childhood & Adolescence
- Mandated Reporting of Child Abuse & Neglect
- Violence in Homes, Schools & Society
- Teen Dating Violence
- Understanding & Managing Student Aggression
- Preventing Bullying in Schools
- School Violence Prevention Strategies
- Intervening & Responding to Crises at School