About This Chapter
Childhood Developmental Challenges - Chapter Summary
With the lessons in this chapter, review various cognitive, psychiatric and emotional challenges that children may experience. Brush up on techniques for helping children learn effectively in the classroom. Specifically, explore:
- Learning disabilities
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Developmental abnormalities
- Cognitive and social functioning delays
- Speech and communication disorders
- Advanced cognitive development
- Issues common in middle/secondary school students
The lessons in this chapter have been designed to provide you with a comprehensive overview of developmental challenges some children experience. Each lesson includes a short video to help visually exhibit the material. The video's transcript is included as a helpful resource for taking notes. You can take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge of the topics.
1. Learning Disabilities: How to Identify Children with a Learning Disability
Identifying children with a learning disability can be tricky because it can be confused with a lack of interest in a school subject. In this lesson, we will look at how learning disabilities can be identified and the three most common learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyslexia.
2. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
3. Behavioral Characteristics of Children with Asperger Syndrome
If you have never met a person with Asperger syndrome, you might wonder how they differ from you. In this lesson, we'll explore the behaviors common to people with Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders.
4. Cognitive & Social Functioning Delays: Adapting Instruction for Learners
When growing up, keeping pace with your classmates can be difficult, but for some it's much harder than others. In this lesson we will explore cognitive and social developmental milestones in terms of the developmental delays that affect school-age children.
5. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
6. Characteristics of Speech Sound Errors: Speech & Communication Disorders
In this lesson, we explore speech sound disorders, which include articulation deficits, phonological process disorder and fluency disorder. Also learn the characteristics of each of these disorders.
7. Advanced Cognitive Development and Renzulli's Triad
In this lesson, we will explore advanced cognitive development in terms of a gifted child. We will also define what it means to be gifted and Joseph Renzulli's model of giftedness.
8. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Psychology: Homework Help Resource course
- History and Approaches: Homework Help
- Biological Bases of Behavior: Homework Help
- Sensation and Perception: Homework Help
- States of Consciousness: Homework Help
- Learning: Homework Help
- Cognition: Homework Help
- Motivation and Emotion: Homework Help
- Developmental Psychology: Homework Help
- Personality: Homework Help
- Intro to Social Psychology: Homework Help
- Psychological Disorders and Health: Homework Help
- Psychological Treatments: Homework Help
- Statistics, Tests and Measurement: Homework Help