About This Chapter
Childhood Nutrition, Health & Safety - Chapter Summary
Begin your review with lessons outlining threats to young children's health and safety and preventive measures that can be taken to mitigate these risks. You'll also find lessons covering various aspects of wellness. The impact of children's mental and physical health on learning ability is addressed along with definitions of health promotion and health behavior.
Wrap up your studies with a lesson covering some ways to help children make smart decisions about their food choices and nutrition. By the time you reach the end of the chapter you'll have reviewed the following topics:
- Definitions of health and wellness
- Children's health risks
- Influences of health on learning
- Health promotion
This chapter's short, entertaining video lessons are taught by experienced instructors. Navigate among the topics with the video tags that make it easy to revisit a lesson's main ideas. You'll also find transcripts highlighting each lesson's important vocabulary terms and self-checking quizzes you can take as many times as you need to.
1. Nutrition, Health, and Safety in Early Childhood
As children grow and develop, so do threats to their health. From nutrition and childhood obesity to accidents, this lesson will explore the issues that face children in early childhood and what parents can do to deal with them.
2. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
3. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
4. Major Risks to Children's Health
This lesson will examine the major risks to children's health. We will also discuss some ways that these deaths could be prevented and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. How Health Influences Learning in Children
This lesson highlights several common issues that impact health and learning in children. Following the lesson is a short quiz to test what you have learned.
6. Improving Psychosocial Health - Factors & Positive Steps
What characterizes psychosocial health? This lesson focuses on the important factors that influence an individual's psychosocial health and the positive steps that can be taken to improve psychosocial health.
7. Teaching Children to Make Healthy Life Choices
Healthy life choices are important, but how can we teach children to do this? In this lesson, we'll go over five steps to teaching healthy choices and see how they can be applied.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Early Childhood Education (106): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Factors Affecting Development
- Communication & Language Development
- Literacy Development in Early Childhood
- Literacy Instruction in Early Childhood
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- The Positive Learning Environment
- Early Childhood Assessment Strategies
- Responsibilities of Early Childhood Educators
- Collaborative Relationships in Early Childhood Education
- Math Foundations & Concepts
- Numbers, Word Problems, & Reasoning in Math
- Foundations for Science Instruction
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Creative Instruction Through the Arts
- Physical Education
- MTTC Early Childhood Education Flashcards