About This Chapter
Choosing Organizational Structures - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find a series of bite-sized lessons that examine organizational design and the ways in which organizational structures are chosen. Complete the chapter to familiarize yourself with the organizational life cycle and types of organizational strategy. The chapter is entirely self-paced, and you can access it on any computer or mobile device. Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you reinforce your knowledge, and when you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between simple, functional and divisional organizational design
- Compare different types of organizational structures
- Assess organizational structure strategy
- Summarize the stages of the organizational life cycle
- Describe the influence of globalization on organizational structure
1. Organizational Structure: Definition, Types & Examples
Organizational structure influences how a business operates from the inside out. In this lesson, we'll explore the three most common forms of organizational structure relevant to today's business.
2. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
3. What Is Organizational Structure of Management? - Types & Examples
In this lesson, we will provide an overview of the different types of organizational structures a company can utilize. Read on to learn why having an organizational structure is important.
4. Strategy and Organizational Structure
In this lesson you will learn the three different elements to organizational strategy and which organizational structures work best for each of these elements.
5. The Organizational Life Cycle
In this lesson, you will learn about the four stages of the organizational life cycle and how organizations change as they pass through these sequential stages.
6. Globalization and Organizational Structure
Organizational structure can be influenced by many different aspects of globalization. In this lesson, we will explore organizational structure and the impact globalization can have on it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- How Leadership Affects Organizational Change
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Power & Leadership in Business Organizations
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Organizational Change Theories
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Communicating Change in Business
- Organizational Change & Company Culture
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Issues in Leading Organizational Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304