About This Chapter
Chromosomes & Sex Characteristics - Chapter Summary
Included in this chapter on chromosomes and sex characteristics are lessons that define Y chromosome, primary sex characteristics, and secondary sex characteristics. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss disorders associated with the Y chromosome
- Explain primary sex characteristics of living things on earth
- Describe how secondary sex characteristics are seen in humans and animals
The information in these lessons is presented using teaching methods that make the material easy to understand. If you find yourself struggling with a topic, you can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors. Additionally, a brief quiz is available for each lesson, which can help to confirm that you comprehend the topics covered.
1. Y Chromosome: Definition, Disorders & Structure
The Y chromosome is found in males and is one of two chromosomes that determine gender. This article focuses on the Y chromosome, the genes it contains, and disorders that are related to this structure in men.
2. Primary Sex Characteristics: Definition & Explanation
This lesson defines and explains the primary sex characteristics of most living things on earth. In addition, special attention is given to human and, to a lesser extent, plant characteristics.
3. Secondary Sex Characteristics: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will learn about secondary sex characteristics. We will define the term and examine how these characteristics are seen in humans as well as in various animals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Alberta Education Diploma - Biology 30: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Overview of Experimental Design
- Cellular Level of the Nervous System
- Function & Parts of the Nervous System
- Sensation & Perception in Biology
- Function & Parts of the Endocrine System
- The Human Female Reproductive System
- The Human Male Reproductive System
- Early Development to Childbirth in Humans
- Mitosis & Meiosis Overview
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Genetic Inheritance & Pedigrees
- DNA Sequencing & Replication
- Transcription & Translation in DNA & RNA
- Genetic Variability & Analytic Methods
- Ecology, Ecosystems & the Environment
- Population Change in Biology
- Alberta Education Diploma - Biology 30 Flashcards