About This Chapter
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - Chapter Summary
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease has been described as a condition that feels like an elephant is sitting on your chest, making breathing profoundly difficult. In this chapter you will learn about this disease in greater depth. You will study what can put someone at risk for it, how it is diagnosed and treated, how it can be managed at home, and much more. As you work through each lesson, you can test yourself by taking the quiz. A test at the end of the chapter will help you monitor your progress overall.
These short lessons are presented by experienced instructors, whose expertise is placed at your disposal. The user-friendly and convenient online platform enables you to study from any location and with any device that offers internet access. The lessons cover the following topics:
- Overview of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Diagnosis and symptoms, risk factors and progression of COPD
- Treatment, complications and medications
- Connections between COPD and asthma, emphysema, and more
- Use of breathing exercises and diet to manage COPD
- Statistics and case study regarding COPD
1. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Overview
COPD affects millions of people in the U.S., but what exactly is this disease? In this lesson, you'll learn about COPD, what causes it, and its symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options.
2. COPD Risk Factors
In this lesson, we're going to touch on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) as well as the most common risk factors associated with the development of this disease. Read on to learn more.
3. COPD: Diagnosis, Stages & Life Expectancy
This lesson is going to go over one of the biggest questions about COPD, life expectancy. We will also discuss how COPD is diagnosed and the stages of COPD.
4. COPD: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson is going to give an overview of COPD. We are going to discuss the details about the signs and symptoms as well as treatment options that are available for COPD.
5. Emphysema vs COPD
This lesson is going to give you some insight into the lungs and their function. We will discuss two diseases that are closely intertwined that cause damage to the lungs.
6. COPD vs Asthma
In this lesson, we're going to take a look at two respiratory conditions: asthma and COPD. Similarities and differences between the two will be discussed as a means of comparison.
7. Managing COPD: Diet & Exercises
We are going to learn more about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. This lesson is going to focus on ways to manage the disease through diet and exercise.
8. COPD: Medications & Complications
You keep hearing about COPD, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and know that it is a dangerous disease. Learn what it is, the medications to treat it and the possible complications that can result from COPD.
9. COPD: Statistics & Case Study
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder is a very common, and very deadly disorder here in the United States. In this lesson, learn the statistics behind this pervasive disorder. Also, through a case study, learn interventions used to reduce COPD exacerbations.
10. COPD, Pneumonia & Heart Failure
This lesson is going to give a description of COPD, pneumonia and heart failure. We will describe how the effects of COPD lead to both pneumonia and heart failure.
11. COPD & Chronic Bronchitis
This lesson is going to explain and define two different respiratory related conditions - COPD and chronic bronchitis. We will also look at how COPD and chronic bronchitis are connected.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Heart Disease & Heart Failure
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests