About This Chapter
Chronic Respiratory Conditions - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers short and engaging lessons that explain the fundamentals of chronic respiratory conditions. Complete the chapter at your own pace to review the symptoms and treatments for conditions like bronchitis, emphysema, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis and much more. When you're finished, you should be equipped to:
- Outline the symptoms and treatments for bronchitis and emphysema
- Understand basic concepts related to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Explain the relationship between allergies and asthma
- Assess the stages, prognosis, symptoms and treatment of pulmonary fibrosis
- Describe pulmonary hypertension diagnosis and treatments
Following each lesson is a short quiz that covers essential medical terms and concepts. To make sure you fully understand these chronic respiratory conditions, take the chapter's final exam. You can study the chapter at school, work, home or wherever you happen to be. Finally, if you have any questions, simply reach out to our instructors online.
1. What Is Bronchitis? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
In the following lesson you will learn about types of bronchitis and how this condition effects breathing. You will learn the best ways to treat bronchitis as well as when to be concerned about a cough.
2. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Overview
COPD affects millions of people in the U.S., but what exactly is this disease? In this lesson, you'll learn about COPD, what causes it, and its symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options.
3. Allergies and Asthma: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson explores the meaning of allergies and asthma and how they may interact with one another at the same time. You'll learn about allergic rhinitis, intrinsic asthma and extrinsic asthma as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatment options of each.
4. What Is Emphysema? - Definition, Causes Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we will learn about emphysema, which is the most common respiratory disease. We will learn about the symptoms and causes of emphysema and the many different treatment options available.
5. Pulmonary Fibrosis: Stages & Prognosis
In this lesson, you will learn about pulmonary fibrosis. Pulmonary fibrosis can greatly impact a person's quality life and we will review the different stages of the disease. Pulmonary fibrosis is a life limiting disease and we will discuss the prognosis associated with each stage.
6. Pulmonary Fibrosis: Symptoms & Treatment
Pulmonary fibrosis is a serious disorder that can be caused by many inciting factors. This lesson focuses on pointing out the many different signs and symptoms of this disorder as well as possible treatment options.
7. Pulmonary Hypertension: Diagnosis & Treatment
Pulmonary hypertension occurs when there is an increase in arterial pressure in the lungs. This lesson will discuss the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing