About This Chapter
CHSPE Language: Prewriting & Organization - Chapter Summary
Before you begin writing an essay, especially for an exam, it is important to brainstorm and organize your ideas and thoughts. Without this essential prewriting step, essays can become unstructured and aimless. This study guide chapter helps you navigate the necessary steps to follow when you begin the prewriting and organization process of writing. The basic concepts covered in this chapter include:
- Instructions on effective prewriting techniques
- Prewriting, writing and review
- Sentence and paragraph structure for essay writing
- Self-editing strategies
To fully understand and succeed in the language arts portion of the CHSPE, you must grasp the fundamental concepts of writing basics. Prewriting and organization are the foundations on which effective essays are written. This chapter provides you with the knowledge to confidently begin writing the exam's essay questions. You can develop an understanding the technical process of writing and discover how to structure your sentences and paragraphs to clearly convey your point-of-view.
1. Effective Prewriting: Instructions and Examples
You should learn prewriting techniques, such as brainstorming, mapping, and freewriting, to produce well-planned, focused essays. This lesson explains the basics for how to conduct effective prewriting.
2. The Technical Writing Process: Prewriting, Writing & Rewriting
Having a plan for your writing will help ensure that you effectively communicate your message. This video provides definitions and strategies for the three steps of the writing process: prewriting, writing, and rewriting.
3. How to Structure Sentences in an Essay
Sometimes we know what we want to write, but we are just unsure of the best way to write it. In this video, we will cover ways to structure sentences in an essay.
4. Paragraphs: Definition & Rules
Almost all forms of writing are structured into paragraphs. Watch this video lesson to learn not only the definition and purpose of a paragraph but its proper structure and how to make a paragraph effective.
5. Paragraph Form: Definition, Types & Examples
Learn about the paragraph form and how to construct a paragraph. Find out how the paragraph form is similar to the essay form, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
6. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
7. Self-Editing: Definition & Concept
Self-editing is an arduous task that most writers do not particularly enjoy. It's tedious and often times grueling. But it's also necessary. Learn how to make the process easier and ultimately improve the overall quality of your writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CHSPE: Practice & Study Guide course
- CHSPE Language: Grammar & Mechanics
- CHSPE Language: Sentence Structure
- CHSPE Vocabulary: Understanding Synonyms & Context
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Initial Understanding
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Interpreting Readings
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Critical Analysis
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Strategies
- CHSPE Mathematics: Number & Operations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Patterns & Algebraic Equations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Data & Probability
- CHSPE Mathematics: Geometry & Measurement
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Understanding Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Estimation & Rounding
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Applying Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Reasoning & Problem Solving