About This Chapter
CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Estimation & Rounding - Chapter Summary
The ability to estimate and round numbers is a useful shortcut when you are working math problems, whether you're preparing for an exam or completing a classroom assignment. It also has many applications in daily life. These video lessons reinforce those skills by reviewing the following information:
- Definition and explanation of estimation
- How to round numbers to 1,000, etc.
- Rounding decimals and mixed numbers, finding missing digits
- How to estimate when adding and subtracting decimals
Our study guide is designed to be mobile, which allows you to access it from your laptop, smartphone, notebook or tablet in any location that provides access to the Internet. This enables you to continue your studies even if you're traveling so you never need to interrupt your work.
CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Estimation & Rounding Chapter Objectives
If you are at least 16 years old and have completed the tenth grade, you may be eligible to receive a Certificate of Proficiency by taking and passing the CHSPE exam, a standardized high-school equivalency test recognized under California law. The CHSPE exam consists of two major sections. These are mathematics and English language arts. The lessons in the Estimation & Rounding chapter of our CHSPE Test prep study guide address some of the questions in the math section. You will encounter 50 questions on the math subtest.
All of the 182 questions that make up the overall test are multiple choice in format, with the exception of a writing task contained in the language arts subtest. The test is paper-based, so you are advised to bring two sharpened #2 pencils with you.
1. How to Estimate in Math: Definition & Concept
Learn how to use estimate values in this lesson. It can help you answer math problems that use more complicated numbers and even make it easier to split a check at the restaurant next time you are out with friends!
2. Rounding Numbers to the Nearest 1000, 10,000 & 100,000
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to round larger numbers like a pro. Learn what the cutoff numbers are for rounding up and down to the nearest thousand, ten thousand and hundred thousand.
3. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
4. How to Round Mixed Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to round mixed numbers easily and quickly. You will learn about what number to look at to determine whether you should round up or round down.
5. Estimating the Sum & Difference Between Two Decimals
In this video lesson, you will learn how to take an addition or subtraction problem with decimals and estimate the answer by rounding. You will learn that a rounded answer is very close to the actual answer.
6. Rounding Decimals & Finding the Missing Digit
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to round decimals and how to use your knowledge of rounding to help you find a missing digit. Learn what the difference is between rounding decimals and rounding regular numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CHSPE: Practice & Study Guide course
- CHSPE Language: Grammar & Mechanics
- CHSPE Language: Sentence Structure
- CHSPE Language: Prewriting & Organization
- CHSPE Vocabulary: Understanding Synonyms & Context
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Initial Understanding
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Interpreting Readings
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Critical Analysis
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Strategies
- CHSPE Mathematics: Number & Operations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Patterns & Algebraic Equations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Data & Probability
- CHSPE Mathematics: Geometry & Measurement
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Understanding Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Applying Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Reasoning & Problem Solving