About This Chapter
CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Understanding Math - Chapter Summary
Complete the lessons of this chapter to improve your mathematical skills and review some of the different mathematical processes. Through the lessons, our professional instructors will help you go over the functions of different mathematical symbols, different visual representations of mathematical data and common vocabulary terms. Use this review to prepare for exam questions about:
- Math problems with greater than symbols and less than symbols
- Equations with grouping symbols
- Key algebraic vocabulary
- Reading bar graphs and line graphs
- Organizing data on tables and schedules
- Setting up and solving math problems
In addition to watching the videos, you can improve your understanding of these topics by reading the lesson transcripts. Questions on mathematic processes can be submitted to our instructors for clarification. You can also take several self-assessment quizzes to determine how much you comprehend about the above subjects.
1. Greater Than Symbol in Math: Examples & Problems
This lesson explains what the 'greater than' symbol is and how to use it to compare numbers in mathematics. You'll learn when to use the 'greater than' symbol how to tell the difference between the 'greater than' and 'less than' symbols, then you'll be quizzed about what you've learned.
2. Less Than Symbol in Math: Problems & Applications
The less-than sign is a sign of inequality. It is represented by the < symbol. This lesson will describe the properties of less-than inequalities, show some example problems and provide a quiz at the end.
3. Grouping Symbols in Math: Definition & Equations
This lesson will investigate grouping symbols in math, which allow steps in a math problem to receive priority attention. Incorrect use of grouping symbols can make the difference between obtaining the right or wrong answer.
4. Algebra Vocabulary Terms
Watch this video lesson to learn about some basic vocabulary words that you will come across again and again in the course of your studies in algebra. After you finish this video, you should know and be able to identify each term.
5. Bar Graph: Definition, Types & Examples
A bar graph is a mathematical representation of data. In this lesson, you will learn the definition of a bar graph, including how to recognize the different types of bar graphs. You will also learn how to create bar graphs.
6. What is a Line Graph? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we'll explore the function and examples of a line graph. Then, you will learn to create questions and interpret data from line graphs. A brief quiz follows.
7. Organizing and Understanding Data with Tables & Schedules
In math, when we have to deal with a lot of data, having a visual format to present all the data becomes very useful. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can take advantage of two of these visual formats.
8. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CHSPE: Practice & Study Guide course
- CHSPE Language: Grammar & Mechanics
- CHSPE Language: Sentence Structure
- CHSPE Language: Prewriting & Organization
- CHSPE Vocabulary: Understanding Synonyms & Context
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Initial Understanding
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Interpreting Readings
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Critical Analysis
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Strategies
- CHSPE Mathematics: Number & Operations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Patterns & Algebraic Equations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Data & Probability
- CHSPE Mathematics: Geometry & Measurement
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Estimation & Rounding
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Applying Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Reasoning & Problem Solving