About This Chapter
CHSPE Mathematics: Patterns & Algebraic Equations - Chapter Summary
In anticipation of taking the CHSPE exam, brush up on your existing math skills and perhaps acquire some new ones by working your way through the lessons in this chapter. Algebraic expressions, quadratic functions, proportions and more are covered in this chapter. The lessons include the material shown below:
- Solving problems using patterns
- Slope of a line and solving simultaneous linear equations
- Ratios, proportions and matrices
- Understanding and interpreting linear relationships
- Translating and evaluating algebraic and absolute value expressions
- Understanding and using quadratic equations and more
- Practice in how to graph inequalities
- Working with common algebraic equations
- Changing words to algebraic expressions
These brief, yet interesting and engaging lessons make math easy to understand. Transcripts with highlighted vocabulary, lesson quizzes and chapter tests can all help you to reinforce what you have learned. The dashboard gives you a convenient place to keep track of your work so that you always know where you stand.
1. Using Patterns to Solve Math Problems
In this lesson, we will learn how to use patterns to solve math problems by identifying patterns in real world data and extending those patterns to answer questions about different scenarios.
2. What is Slope? - Definition & Formulas
The slope is a measure of the steepness of a line, or a section of a line, connecting two points. In this lesson, you will use several different formulas for slope and learn how those formulas relate to the steepness of a line.
3. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
4. What is a Matrix?
As math gets more and more complicated and there become more and more numbers flying around, it becomes really handy to put all these numbers in a nice organized grid... hello matrices! Learn about what they are and why there are used.
5. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
6. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
7. Linear Relationship: Definition & Examples
Learn how beautifully simple linear relationships are and how easy they are to identify. Discover how you can see them in use in the world around you on an everyday basis and why they are useful. At the end of the lesson, test yourself with a quiz.
8. Interpreting Linear Relationships Using Data: Practice Problems
Understanding linear relationships is an important part of understanding statistics. This lesson will help you review linear relationships and will go through three practice problems to help you retain your knowledge. When you are finished, test out your knowledge with a short quiz!
9. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
10. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
11. Quadratic Functions: Examples & Formula
Learn what sets quadratic functions apart from all other functions. Learn how you can spot a quadratic just by looking at its graph. Also learn the two formulas that will help you when working with them.
12. Using Quadratic Functions to Model a Given Data Set or Situation
Watch this video lesson to learn how quadratic functions are used to model situations and data gathered from real world scenarios. See how our function fits our data and situation well.
13. Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems
If you're already pretty familiar with what inequalities are and just looking for a place to practice your skills, this is the place. This lesson covers topics like 1-variable, 2-variable, compound, and systems of inequalities.
14. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
15. Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations
In this video lesson, you will learn how to solve simultaneous linear equations or a system of linear equations. Learn the steps you need to take to solve any such system using the Gaussian elimination method.
16. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CHSPE: Practice & Study Guide course
- CHSPE Language: Grammar & Mechanics
- CHSPE Language: Sentence Structure
- CHSPE Language: Prewriting & Organization
- CHSPE Vocabulary: Understanding Synonyms & Context
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Initial Understanding
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Interpreting Readings
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Critical Analysis
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Strategies
- CHSPE Mathematics: Number & Operations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Data & Probability
- CHSPE Mathematics: Geometry & Measurement
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Understanding Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Estimation & Rounding
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Applying Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Reasoning & Problem Solving