About This Chapter
CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Strategies - Chapter Summary
Understanding what you read is a critical element in the process of reading. You may be able to read the words but this CHSPE study guide chapter will help you put meaning to those words to comprehend the purpose and message of the text. Topics covered in these lessons include:
- Understanding why we read and the necessity of reading comprehension
- Specific strategies for developing reading comprehension skills
- Big picture perspective vs. close reading analysis
- Getting the 'gist' of an essay for improved reading speed
- Asking questions and examining context and structural analysis to gain clarification
- Understanding text structure and text features
- The advantages of reading
Study these lessons and practice your reading comprehension strategies with the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to adequately prepare for the CHSPE and gain better reading abilities in general. This chapter clarifies the importance of reading comprehension and provides the exact strategies you'll need to gain thorough understanding in all that you read.
1. What is Reading Comprehension?
When you are reading, it isn't enough to just process the words. You need to understand what you are reading, too. In this lesson, you'll learn about the steps involved in reading comprehension.
2. Strategies for Reading Comprehension
Have you been assigned to read something and you just couldn't understand what the author is trying to tell you? In this lesson, you will learn five strategies to help yourself understand what you are reading.
3. Close Reading vs. Big Picture Reading Strategies
In this lesson, learn about two different approaches to reading a work of literature: big picture strategies and close reading strategies. Discover how these two perspectives can be put into practice through examples from the play 'Romeo and Juliet.'
4. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
5. Clarifying Questions: Definition & Examples
Clarifying questions might be one of the most valuable tools to help you better understand information, eliminate confusion during a discussion or keep yourself from getting punched in the nose.
6. Interpreting Works in Context
In this lesson, we will learn how to interpret a written work in its context. We will explore the historical context, biographical context, context of language and form, and context of the reader.
7. Using Text Structure While Reading
If you need strategies to help make reading and comprehending text easier, this lesson is for you! Read on to learn how you can easily determine text structure to quickly understand the texts you're reading!
8. What is a Text Feature? - Definition & Examples
You think the newest computers and smart phones have more features than dusty old books? You might think again after reading this lesson, where you'll see text features defined along with a few examples of these helpful textual enhancements!
9. Using Structural Analysis to Determine the Meaning of Words
Discover the importance of using structural analysis to understand unfamiliar words. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to divide unknown words into known pieces to comprehend their overall meanings.
10. Why Do We Read? - Purposes & Advantages
Whether you like it or not, reading is a skill we each use on a daily basis. READ this lesson to discover the many advantages of reading as often as you can.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CHSPE: Practice & Study Guide course
- CHSPE Language: Grammar & Mechanics
- CHSPE Language: Sentence Structure
- CHSPE Language: Prewriting & Organization
- CHSPE Vocabulary: Understanding Synonyms & Context
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Initial Understanding
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Interpreting Readings
- CHSPE Reading Comprehension: Critical Analysis
- CHSPE Mathematics: Number & Operations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Patterns & Algebraic Equations
- CHSPE Mathematics: Data & Probability
- CHSPE Mathematics: Geometry & Measurement
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Understanding Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Estimation & Rounding
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Applying Math
- CHSPE Mathematic Processes: Reasoning & Problem Solving