About This Chapter
Who's It For
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering information about the circles of Hell in Dante's Inferno will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the punishments inflicted on sinners in each circle. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing information about the circles of Hell in Dante's Inferno
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Circles of Hell in Dante's Inferno chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Circles of Hell in Dante's Inferno chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the circles of Hell in Dante's Inferno for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Explanation of the sin that each circle punishes
- Fate of sinners in each circle with descriptions
- Punishments inflicted on the condemned in circles 1-9
- Descriptions of conditions and punishments in each circle of Hell
1. Dante's Inferno: Circles of Hell & Punishments
'Inferno', an epic poem written by Dante Alighieri in the early 1300s, follows the journey of Dante, guided by the Spirit Virgil, through the nine circles of Hell and the subsequent punishments for each.
2. Dante's Inferno First Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
Compared to the rest of what Dante experiences in Hell, the First Circle isn't too bad. But, everything is relative. This lesson covers the punishment, inhabitants, and layout of the First Circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno.
3. Dante's Inferno Second Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
Lust is considered one of the seven deadly sins, but have you ever wondered how Dante thought it ranked as a sin? We'll learn about the punishments for sinners in the Second Circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno.
4. Dante's Inferno Third Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
As Dante descends further and further into the pit of Hell, he comes across more pitiful, tormented souls. This lesson will look at the punishment and description of the Third Circle of Hell in Dante's 'Inferno.'
5. Dante's Inferno Fourth Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
The Fourth Circle of Hell in Dante's 'Inferno' is reserved for over-spenders and hoarders. We'll learn about the physical description of this level of Hell and the punishment that awaits sinners who are sent there.
6. Dante's Inferno Fifth Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
Dante has seen a lot of suffering and torment on his descent through Hell. Now he approaches the Fifth Circle. This lesson will cover the description and punishment doled out in that circle from Cantos VII and VIII of Dante's Inferno.
7. Dante's Inferno Sixth Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
In Dante's 'Inferno,' the Sixth Circle of Hell is reserved for heretics. We'll learn about the physical description of this level of Hell and the horrifying punishment that sinners there have to endure.
8. Dante's Inferno Seventh Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
Dante's 'Inferno', an epic poem written by Dante Alighieri in 1300, chronicles the journey of Dante as he is guided through the Nine Circles of Hell by an ancient poet named Virgil. This lesson will focus on the Seventh Circle of Violence.
9. Dante's Inferno Eighth Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
Dante's crossing of the Eighth Circle of Hell is one of the longest and most detailed in the entire 'Inferno.' With ten pits and even more sinners, it can be pretty daunting. This lesson will summarize the landscape and punishments of sinners.
10. Dante's Inferno Ninth Circle of Hell: Punishments & Description
This lesson explains how Dante's vision of Hell, specifically the Ninth and most treacherous Circle, is organized and how sinners are punished there in the epic 14th-century poem 'Inferno'.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.