About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Circle basics||Similarities of circles; formulas for area and circumference; inscribed angles, radii and chords|
|Tuesday||Inscribed and circumscribed figures||Definition and relationships of inscribed and circumscribed figures; measuring inscribed angles; constructing inscribed and circumscribed figures circles of a triangle; properties of angles quadrilaterals inscribed in a circle|
|Wednesday||Tangent and arc length||Constructing tangent lines; arc length; area of a sector; radian measure of an angle|
|Thursday||Equation of a circle; competing the square process||Deriving the equation of a circle using the Pythagorean Theorem; completing the square to find the center and radius of a circle|
|Friday||Measurements; regular polygons||Calculating the measurement of angles and lengths involving tangents, chords and secants; definition and parts of regular polygons|
1. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
2. Inscribed and Circumscribed Figures: Definition & Construction
A square and a circle may be different shapes, but they still can have a unique relationship. In this lesson, we'll learn about inscribed and circumscribed figures.
3. How to Find the Measure of an Inscribed Angle
Finding the measure of an inscribed angle requires knowing a little information. In this lesson, we'll find the measure of an inscribed angle when we know the measure of the central angle or one or more of the arcs formed by the angle.
4. Tangent of a Circle: Definition & Theorems
What happens when a line just barely touches a circle? It's a tangent! In this lesson, we'll learn all about tangents to circles, including a few key theorems. We'll also look at tangent circles.
5. Arc Length of a Sector: Definition and Area
In this lesson, we'll slice up a circle like it's a pizza and learn how to find out useful information about our slices. We'll find out the area of these sectors, or pie slices. We'll also learn about arc lengths.
6. Measurements of Angles Involving Tangents, Chords & Secants
When lines and circles meet, angles are formed. Fortunately, we can determine the measure of these angles, whether they're formed by tangents, secants or chords, just by knowing the measure of the created arcs.
7. Measurements of Lengths Involving Tangents, Chords and Secants
The lengths of chords, tangents and secants take on unique relationships when they're drawn on circles. In this lesson, we'll define those relationships and see them in action.
8. Regular Polygons: Definition & Parts
What makes a polygon a polygon? And what shapes are considered polygons? In this lesson, find out the answers to these questions and more as we learn all about polygons and their parts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Trigonometry Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Real Numbers: Types & Properties Lesson Plans
- Working with Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Complex Numbers Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Quadratics Lesson Plans
- Working with Quadratic Functions Lesson Plans
- Coordinate Geometry Review Lesson Plans
- Functions for Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Function Operations Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions Basics Lesson Plans
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions Lesson Plans
- Using Trigonometric Functions Lesson Plans
- Triangle Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations Lesson Plans