About This Chapter
Civilizations & Change - Chapter Summary
If you are studying up on subjects from world history, it's a good idea to make sure that you specifically study great civilizations from human history and the issues that drove political change and cultural evolution in those societies. You can learn about the changes that affected some of these civilizations by reviewing the text and video lessons included in this chapter.
Each chapter will teach you about a different civilization or issue that drove changes in that particular society. Our lesson instructors have extensive experience teaching these particular historical topics, and will share their expertise with you in a convenient and easy-to-use online format. Topics you will learn about include:
- Medieval feudalism
- The Ghana Empire
- Muslim states in Africa
- Islam in India and West Africa
- Christianity in medieval Europe
Once you complete a specific chapter, you can test your recollection of the main points from that topic by answering the questions in the lesson's practice quiz. When you complete the entire chapter, you can also take the final chapter exam to ensure that you have understood the overall subject. Your personal Dashboard can be used to keep track of your learning progress as you move through the chapter.
1. Japan (600-1400 CE): Beliefs, Reforms & Rulers
In this lesson, we explore the Middle Ages in Japan, from the classical era of imperial Japan to the feudal era of intermittent and regional warfare that followed it.
2. What is Medieval Feudalism? - Definition, Structure & History
In this lesson, you'll learn about the historical background, basic structure, and general nature of feudalism as practiced in Medieval Europe between the 9th and 15th centuries.
3. The Ghana Empire in Africa (830-1235 CE)
This lesson explores the Ghana Empire of West Africa. In doing so, it highlights the gold and salt trade of the region, which made the empire wealthy. It also discusses the importance of iron smelting and taxation.
4. The Rise of Muslim States in Africa
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of Islam in Africa and discover how Muslim states grew in size and power. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Islam's Spread in West Africa
This lesson explains the gradual spread of Islam into West Africa. In doing so, it discusses the influence of the Berbers and the trans-Saharan caravan trade of the Saharan region.
6. Islamic Expansion & Influence in India
While Islam would never manage to convert more than a small percentage of India's population, it would have a considerable impact on the history of India, as well as the development of culture in the subcontinent.
7. Spread of Christianity in Medieval Europe
Christianity may have began as a small religious tradition in the Middle East, but it soon spread throughout much of the known world. This lesson takes a look at how Christianity spread throughout Europe in the early Middle Ages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Social Studies Subject Concentration (5157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early United States History Overview
- Causes & Impact of the Revolutionary War
- United States Constitution & Bill of Rights
- United States Territorial Expansion
- The Importance of Manifest Destiny
- Sectionalism & the Start of the Civil War
- End of the Civil War & Reconstruction
- Industrialization, Urbanization & Immigration
- The Progressive Era & Amendments
- World War I Summary
- United States in the 1920s
- The Great Depression & the New Deal
- World War II Summary
- Understanding the Cold War
- The Post-Cold War World
- The United States (1940s-1960s)
- The United States (1970s-1990s)
- Technology in the Late 20th Century
- History of Pennsylvania
- Early Civilizations Overview
- Classical Civilizations Overview
- Early Eastern Religions Overview
- Renaissance, Reformation & Enlightenment Periods
- Global Interactions (1200-1750)
- Revolutions & Imperialism (1750-1914)
- Terrorism & the United States
- United States Government: Foundations & Structure
- Branches of the U.S. Government
- United States Election Process
- Political Parties, Interest Groups, Bureaucracy & Media
- Rights, Responsibilities & Duties of U.S. Citizens
- American Political Systems & Ideologies
- Economics, Taxation & GDP
- The Federal Reserve System
- Personal Finance & Investments
- Geography, Maps & Waterways
- Physical Geography of Earth
- The Environment & Human Activity
- Human Geography & Migration
- Political Geography & Geographic Factors
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Social Studies Subject Concentration Flashcards