About This Chapter
Classical Music Composers Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
The lesson plan outlines, activities and additional materials in this chapter can provide you with useful tools that will help you teach your students to appreciate the majesty, beauty and power of classical music. The lessons contain suggestions that will help you build classroom lessons on the lives and works of such masters as Beethoven, Handel, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Grieg, and others. Your students will be introduced to works including Peter and the Wolf, The Magic Flute, Handel's Messiah and more.
By using these lesson plan outlines, you will be able to create strategies that can help you effectively teach your students about these wonderful works and the great minds that created them. You will find lesson plan outlines on the following:
- Overview and explanation of what classical music is, its history and composers
- Lesson plans on the life, works, and achievements of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Biography, works and music of Ludwig Van Beethoven and Camille Saint-Saens
- The compositions and lives of Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Vivaldi, Chopin and many, many more!
- Activities for kids including listening to classical music
- Great works including Grieg's 'In the Hall of the Mountain King', Mozart's operas, Bach's fugues, and that's only the beginning!
How It Helps
- Common core: Ensures that your lessons on classical music composers are in accordance with established educational standards
- Student engagement: Provides listening activities intended to make learning about famous composers exciting and fun
- Vocabulary words: Includes specialized musical terms for you to teach your students
- Additional resources: Offers lessons relevant to the lives and works of such composers as Handel, Beethoven, Mozart and many others
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning lessons on the lives and works of famous classical music composers easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific topics related to the lives and works of classical composers that you want to cover in class.
- Formulate the outline for your classes in classical music composers using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related classical music lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important concepts from your lessons on famous classical composers and their music.
- Engage your students with relevant music-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Baroque Music Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about Baroque music. A video lesson explains Baroque music, gives its history and characteristics, then exposes readers to leading composers from the period. Finish up with a quiz and activity to make learning last.
2. What is Baroque Music? - Definition, History, Characteristics & Composers
Emerging from the Renaissance, Baroque music was perhaps the most openly innovative musical period to date in Western history. Full of melodies and even some improvisation, this style that began to fight the Reformation would lead to the birth of opera.
3. Bach Lesson Plan
Johann Sebastian Bach was one of the most influential composers of all time. This lesson plan uses a text lesson to teach students about his life and musical career as well as a video lesson that provides examples of his work. Discussion questions, a quiz, and an activity are included.
4. Johann Sebastian Bach: Biography, Music & Facts
In this lesson you will learn about composer Johann Sebastian Bach, one of the most prominent figures in music's Baroque period. Read about the music he wrote, and why his works have fascinated generations of listeners.
5. Bach: Important Works, Organ, Fugues and Solo Works
In this lesson, you'll meet Johann Sebastian Bach, one of the greatest composers and organists from music's Baroque period. This lesson will introduce you to Bach's life and works, with an emphasis on his organ music.
6. Bach Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Introduce your students to the composer Bach with this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that provides an overview of his life and accomplishments, discuss and interact with content, then apply learning in a project.
7. Johann Sebastian Bach Lesson for Kids: Biography & Facts
You have probably heard many songs written by Johann Sebastian Bach, one of the greatest composers of all time, without even knowing it. In this lesson, you will learn about his life and how he came to be such a famous musician.
8. Vivaldi Lesson Plan
Who was Antonio Vivaldi and what impact did he make in the world of music? This lesson plan opens with a factual text lesson to teach students about his life work and closes with an activity to highlight his musical contributions.
9. Antonio Vivaldi: Biography, Music & Facts
Antonio Vivaldi was one of the prominent composers of the Italian Baroque. He was particularly famous for his concerti. In this lesson we will discuss his life and music.
10. Vivaldi's Four Seasons Lesson Plan
Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' is an important composition that students need to become familiar with. In this lesson plan, they will practice critically listening to Baroque music, and will learn how this composition was structured.
11. The Four Seasons by Vivaldi: Analysis & Structure
Many composers have a seminal work for which they're known. In this lesson, we'll explore Vivaldi's masterpiece, 'The Four Seasons', and examine its structure and content.
12. George Frideric Handel Lesson Plan
Educate your students about composer George Frideric Handel with this lesson plan. They will study a helpful text lesson, take an accompanying quiz to follow-up, and finally participate in three hands-on activities to reinforce main concepts.
13. George Frideric Handel: Biography, Facts & Compositions
George Frideric Handel (1685-1759) is probably best remembered for his masterwork 'Messiah'. Trace his long career and learn more about his life and other great music by him.
14. George Frideric Handel Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Teach your students about George Frideric Handel with the help of this lesson plan. Students will read a text lesson that provides a biography of his life and work, listen to pieces and interact with content, then display understanding with a project.
15. George Frideric Handel Biography: Lesson for Kids
This lesson tells the story of George Frideric Handel, the talented composer who wrote many great operas, developed the music style oratorio, and created one of the most well-known musical pieces, 'Messiah.'
16. Hallelujah Chorus Lesson Plan
Most of us have heard the Hallelujah chorus of Handel's 'Messiah,' but how many of us know the story behind it? This lesson plan uses an entertaining video lesson to provide students with the basics while an activity gives them a chance to investigate further.
17. Handel's Messiah: History, Music & Analysis
Even if you don't know much about classical music, you have probably heard the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's oratorio Messiah. Many people think of this chorus as a Christmas song, but Handel didn't think it was. Find out why in this lesson.
18. Classical Music Lesson Plan
How is classical music different from other genres? A video lesson gives students a background on classical music while a project gives students a chance to learn more. Relevant lessons and additional activities are included for related study.
19. What is Classical Music? - Definition, History & Composers
While many now think of Classical music as stodgy and stiff, the style itself began as a rebellion against the heavy influence of the Church in music. Classical music gave audiences a complete idea as to the power of newly perfected instruments.
20. Enlightenment Music Lesson Plan
This lesson plan introduces students to key philosophical concepts from the Enlightenment and how those are revealed through the music of that time. Students will wrestle with these ideas in a two-circle discussion and through a listening activity.
21. Music During the Enlightenment Period
The Enlightenment was a period that introduced many immense changes in Europe. These changes impacted the role and styles of music in society. In this lesson, we'll explore how music came to reflect the new attitudes of the era.
22. Mozart Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about the great artist Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Students will read an informational biography on Mozart then discuss his life and accomplishments before watching an engaging video outlining specific operas, concertos, and symphonies.
23. Mozart: Operas, Symphonies & Piano Concerti
Mozart was one of the top composers of music's Classical period. In this lesson, we'll look at three categories of his greatest works: the genres of opera, symphony, and piano concerto.
24. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Biography, Compositions & Accomplishments
Playing music by age 3, composing by age 5, writing an opera at age 14, and dead at 35, Mozart packed a lot of accomplishments into his short life. Learn more about one of the most influential composers of all time.
25. Mozart Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about composer Wolfgang Mozart. Students will read a text lesson that provides a biography of Mozart, using question-and-answer techniques to increase understanding, then apply learning to a project.
26. Mozart Lesson for Kids: Biography & Facts
This lesson will introduce you to Wolfgang Mozart, who is considered one of the greatest composers of all time. You will learn about his early start in composing, his rise to fame, and his life as a musician and chamber composer.
27. The Magic Flute Lesson Plan
'The Magic Flute' by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is an opera that will appeal to students because of its memorable melodies and meaningful storyline. This lesson plan uses a video lesson to summarize the opera and introduce its characters. An activity gives students a chance to view actual performance of the opera.
28. The Magic Flute: Opera Summary, Characters & Composer
In this lesson, you'll read about an opera full of fantasy and adventure: Mozart's 'The Magic Flute.' You'll learn about the plot and characters in this magical story, as well as some of the cultural influences that shaped the opera's message.
29. Classical Music Listening Activities for Kids
Some forms of music, particularly classical music, may be inaccessible or simply unappealing to many young students. However, a basic knowledge and appreciation of classical music can enrich students in a variety of ways. In this lesson, teachers will find classical music listening activities for classroom use.
30. Franz Joseph Haydn Lesson Plan
Educate your students about legendary composer Franz Joseph Haydn with the help of this lesson plan. Students will study a text lesson, take a related quiz to follow-up, and participate in three activities to solidify major concepts.
31. Franz Joseph Haydn: Biography, Music & Facts
Discover how Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) reached a position of fame and wealth and also how he greatly influenced the music of his time. Following this, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
32. Haydn's Surprise Symphony Analysis
Is there anything all that surprising about Classical music? Franz Joseph Haydn might have something to say about that. In this lesson we'll check out Haydn's Surprise Symphony and see why it earned its name.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Music Lesson Plans & Activities course