About This Chapter
Classification Hierarchy - Chapter Summary
Review these lessons to learn more about the Animalia Kingdom and its over one million species. Along the way, you'll explore interesting animal characteristics and fun animal facts. By the end of the chapter, you'll be prepared to do the following:
- Explain the diverse habitats inhabited by the Animalia Kingdom
- Describe the nine phyla of the Animalia Kingdom and their characteristics
- Differentiate between the different species concepts
Our video and text lessons break down challenging topics into easy-to-understand bites of information. Take the self-assessment quizzes to ensure you understand these topics before moving on. Our instructors are available if you need more help as you review the lessons. Printable lesson transcripts and text lessons make excellent hard-copy study guides so you can study anywhere you'd like, even without an Internet connection.
1. Animalia Kingdom: Definition, Characteristics & Facts
With over one million different species, the Animalia Kingdom is considered the largest kingdom. Its organisms also inhabit the most diverse habitats on Earth. This lesson will examine what characteristics animals possess and then will list some awesome animal facts.
2. Major Animal Phyla & Their Characteristics
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the nine major phyla of Kingdom Animalia. We'll go over what types of animals are in each phylum, as well as describing some characteristics of the phylum's members.
3. Concept of 'Species': Definitions & Limitations
'Species' is just a word, one that can be defined in many different ways. This lessons defines biological, ecological, morphological, and phylogenetic species concepts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Biology: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Scientific Investigations Overview
- Scientific Validity
- Data Collection & Analysis in Science
- Scientific Presentations
- Internal & External Environments
- Gas & Nutrient Transport in Animals & Plants
- Regulation in Animals & Plants
- Chromosomal Structure & Inheritance
- Mendel & Gene Expression
- Mechanisms of Genetic Change
- DNA Replication & Protein Synthesis
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Biotechnology Basics
- Genetic Engineering & Reproductive Technologies
- Health & Disease
- Immune Response
- Nervous System & Sensory Mechanisms
- Anatomy & Disorders of the Eye
- Sound & Hearing
- Evolutionary Change
- Time & Human Evolution
- History of Botany
- Photosynthesis Basics
- HSC Biology Flashcards