About This Chapter
Classification in the Plant Kingdom - Chapter Summary
Whether you're new to the concept of classification in the plant kingdom or want to refresh your existing knowledge, this chapter can help! Expert instructors have developed fun video lessons you can watch anytime to study algae, the kingdom plantae, angiosperms and more. After finishing the lessons, you will be ready to:
- List facts and characteristics of the kingdom plantae
- Define and discuss characteristics of algae
- Identify and describe characteristics and types of bryophytes
- Discuss the characteristics, classification and life cycle of phylum pteridophyta
- Share the definition, characteristics and types of gymnosperms
- Explain the meaning and characteristics of angiosperms
This chapter is completely flexible and customizable, enabling you to view the lessons when and how you choose using any computer or mobile device with Internet access. Watch the lessons as short videos, or read them as full transcripts. Navigate them in your sequence of choice, and visit them as often as you'd like. At any time, feel free to assess your comprehension of the lessons by taking short quizzes and a practice exam.
1. Kingdom Plantae: Facts, Characteristics & Examples
Chances are, you can thank a plant for your clothes, your food, and even your house. This lesson will explore the kingdom plantae including characteristics plants share as well as some facts and examples of organisms within this kingdom.
2. What is Algae? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Plants are not the only organisms capable of carrying out photosynthesis. In this lesson we will look at algae and how an algal species can be differentiated from other organisms and microbes.
3. Bryophytes: Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
You may be familiar with green moss growing on a rock. Moss is a bryophyte, a type of nonvascular plant found near fresh water. This lesson describes bryophytes, including mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.
4. Phylum Pteridophyta: Characteristics, Classification & Life Cycle
In this lesson, we'll discover the characteristics, classification, and life cycle of the group Pteridophyta, which includes plant species like ferns and horsetails.
5. Gymnosperms: Characteristics, Definition & Types
In this lesson, we will explore gymnosperms, which are a unique group of plants that do not have bright flowers or seeds that are protected in fruit. We will examine types of them as well as their characteristics and the way they reproduce.
6. Angiosperms: Characteristics, Definition & Examples
Flowering plants are also known as angiosperms. In this lesson, we will explore this vast group of plants to learn what sets them apart from other types of plants and how they survive.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISC Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Classification & Diversity of Life
- Kingdom Monera, Protista & Fungi
- Classification in the Animal Kingdom
- Overview of Vertebrates
- Plant Physiology: Growth & Nutrition
- Plant Tissue: Structure & Function
- Absorption & Movement of Water in Plants
- Plant Morphology
- Reproduction of Flowering Plants
- Mechanisms of Photosynthesis
- Mechanisms of Cellular Respiration
- Cell Structure Overview
- Cell Membrane Basics
- DNA Basics
- Recombinant DNA & Its Applications
- Overview of Basic Genetic Principles
- Chromosomes & Genetics
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Overview of Biomolecules
- Enzyme Mechanisms
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Nutrition & the Digestive System
- Human Respiratory System Overview
- Basics of the Circulatory System
- Excretory System Overview
- Endocrine System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- The Musculoskeletal System
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Human Disease & Defense
- Origin & Evolution of Life
- Overview of Ecosystems
- Community Ecology Overview
- Overview of Biodiversity
- Environmental Biology Overview
- Biological Applications in Agriculture
- ISC Biology Flashcards