About This Chapter
Climate & Seasons - Chapter Summary
You can learn some important topics on the climate and seasons of the Earth by watching the video lessons found in this chapter. Our lesson instructors will provide point-by-point accounts of these topics in a convenient online format.
The lessons will first go over the characteristics of the Earth's climate and the various elements that affect it. Then, you will explore different examples of the Earth's climate in action, and learn about the causes and effects of weather patterns. Specific topics you will study include:
- What determines a region's climate
- The effect of geography on climate
- The jet stream and global wind patterns
- The patterns of ocean circulation and their effect on climate
- Climate classifications
- The four seasons around the world
The video tags in each lesson will allow you to jump to the main points in each video without having to start from the beginning. Once you have completed the lessons, you can answer the questions on the practice quizzes to see what you recall. You can also track your progress by using your personal Dashboard.
1. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
2. How Geography Affects Climate
Have you ever wondered why the Earth has so many different climates? In this lesson, you will learn about the relationships between geography and climate that help provide an explanation about the differences.
3. Jet Streams & the Polar Front
You've probably heard about jet streams during the news weather segment. But what is a jet stream? This lesson will explain how jet streams form, what they are and then will focus on the polar jet stream.
4. The Global Wind Patterns of the Three Wind Belts
You are familiar with wind, but did you know there are different wind belts depending on where you are on the earth? This lesson will examine the three main wind belts: polar easterlies, tropical easterlies and prevailing westerlies.
5. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
6. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
7. Geography of the Four Seasons
This lesson will explain how the earth's axis and rotation affect seasons. In doing this, it will also highlight the concept of the summer and winter solstices, as well as how seasons vary around the globe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Solutions & Solubility
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards