About This Chapter
Climatic Regions & Conditions - Chapter Summary
This entertaining chapter explores the variety of climatic regions and conditions found around the globe. Use our lessons to get reacquainted with the concept of climate and how it is classified, its influences, why it changes and more. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define and share examples of climate
- List 5 climate classifications and explain where they are found on Earth
- Identify and discuss natural factors that determine the climate of a region
- Explain how climate phenomena like El Nino and La Nina can impact regional weather patterns
- Discuss climate change and detail past climates in Earth's history
- Share the definition and atmospheric causes and effects of global warming
All lessons in this chapter are accessible around-the-clock and can be viewed using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Feel free to select any lessons to study based on your current understanding of climatic regions and conditions, and visit as often as you'd like. Reach out to our subject-matter experts with any questions you develop about questions covered in the lessons. Using the short quizzes and practice exam, you can quickly gauge your comprehension of this chapter before taking your test.
1. What is a Climate? - Definition & Examples
Learn what climate is, and how not to confuse it with weather. Once you understand what a climate is, figure out what type of climate you live in by going over examples of Earth's different climate types.
2. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
3. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
4. Relationship of Climate Phenomena to Regional Weather Patterns
Climate phenomena are atmospheric events that drive weather patterns across the world. What are these phenomena and how do they affect our weather? Read on to learn more.
5. Past Climates & Climate Change
Climate change is a big topic nowadays, but why? In this lesson, we are going to explore the changing climate throughout Earth's history and see why the current change is such a big deal.
6. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Earth Science (14): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Fundamentals of Scientific Inquiry & Processes
- Working with Scientific Data
- Scientific Tools & Safety Practices
- How Science, Technology & Society Are Related
- Rocks, Minerals & Geologic Energy Resources
- Structure & Internal Dynamics of the Earth
- Weathering, Erosion & Deposition in Massachusetts
- Geologic Time & Dating in New England
- Hydrologic Cycle & Freshwater Systems
- Ocean Water, Currents, Tides & Waves
- Ocean Basins, Layers & Continental Shelves
- Understanding the Earth's Atmosphere
- Atmospheric Conditions & Types of Weather
- Weather, Climate & Society
- Understanding the Earth, Moon & Sun
- Solar System Organization & Components
- The Evolution of Stars
- Origin, Observation & Evolution of the Universe
- MTEL Earth Science Flashcards