About This Chapter
Clothing, Textiles & Technology - Chapter Summary
Our experienced instructors outline topics relating to textiles, technology and clothing in this chapter. When you work through these lessons, you'll review the textile industry, types of textile fibers and commonly used textile care symbols. You'll also take a look at the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail the types of machines used in the textile industry
- Outline the selection, use and maintenance of sewing machines
- Identify what a textile designer's job entails
- Define the different types of textile fabrics
- Discuss the process of selecting fabric and patterns for making clothes
- Explain the techniques used in fabric and garment design
- Describe the supplies and techniques used in textile preservation
- Explore the standards of garment construction
We've taken the stress out of studying clothing, textiles and technology with these easy-to-follow lessons. Each lesson is coupled with a multiple-choice quiz to assess your understanding. If you have any questions as you work through the chapter, our professional instructors are here to help.
1. What is the Textile Industry?
We all have our favorite article of clothing, but have you ever wondered where that piece of clothing began? In this lesson we'll learn all about the textile industry, which creates things like our clothing and many other items we love.
2. Textile Care Symbols
Textiles are a big part of our lives, so we'd better know how to take care of them. In this lesson, we are going to check out some of the most common symbols that tell us exactly how to care for the textiles we love.
3. Textile Fibers: Definition, Properties & Types
Textile fibers are an extremely important part of the textile manufacturing process. In this lesson, we're going to explore various kinds of textile fibers and see what makes them right for the job.
4. Textile Fiber Products Identification Act
There are many laws which we don't often think about but which have some pretty big impacts on our lives. In this lesson, we'll talk about one such piece of legislation, the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act, and explore both its history and use in modern society.
5. Textile Laws & Regulations
Have you ever wondered where the fabric in your shirt or pants came from, or who sewed your clothes? The people and operations involved in making your clothes are governed by laws that address things like safety and trade. In this lesson, learn about textile laws and regulations.
6. Textile Industry: Types of Machines
Because so many things we need and use daily is made from fabric, it is not surprising that there are many machines responsible for creating all of those products. In this lesson, we will learn all about the textile industry and the machines that take a raw material and end with a finished product.
7. Sewing Machine Selection, Use & Maintenance
This lesson offers guidance for selecting a sewing machine based on one's needs. We will also walk through the use of the sewing machine with safety tips. Finally, we will discuss maintenance to ensure a well-functioning machine.
8. What is a Textile Designer?
We are so used to having textiles all around us, but we might not realize how much effort goes into creating them. In this lesson, we'll explore the role and duties of the textile designer and see how they help create the designs in our lives.
9. Textile Fabrics: Definition & Types
The ability to identify the different types of textile fabrics is important in the design industry. In this lesson, we'll learn the definition of a textile fabric and explore the different types of textiles, including their sources and uses.
10. Selecting Patterns & Fabric for Making Clothes
Do you have a favorite shirt or dress? Have you ever thought about making your own clothing? In this lesson, learn some basics about how to select patterns and fabrics to make clothes.
11. Fabric & Garment Design Techniques
Have you ever tried to customize an item of clothing? How do you make something like a shirt or jacket? In this lesson, explore fabric and garment design techniques and learn important steps in the process.
12. Textile Preservation: Techniques & Supplies
Textile art is becoming more widely appreciated, but that means that more people are having to learn about textile care. In this lesson, we'll explore the main forms of textile preservation, and consider the benefits and risks of each.
13. Standards of Garment Construction
How do you choose a shirt or jacket to buy? Do you look at how it's made? We want our clothes to look and feel good. In this lesson, explore standards of garment construction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards