About This Chapter
Cloud Computing - Chapter Summary
How much do you know about cloud computing? Use the lessons in this entertaining chapter to find out! Developed by top instructors, lessons provide an in-depth look at a variety of topics, including SaaS, cloud storage, virtualization and distributed computing. Select the lessons you want to review in any order, and take the short quiz with each to assess your comprehension. Use the Ask Our Experts feature in the Dashboard to gain additional cloud computing knowledge. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing
- Differentiate between public, private and hybrid cloud computing
- List types of computer platforms
- Detail the relationship between PaaS, IaaS and cloud computing
- Share the definition and benefits of SaaS
- Discuss the concept of cloud storage, and describe cloud computing security issues
- Identify and describe types of virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Provide the definition of virtual storage and benefits of virtualization
- Explain the principles, environments and applications of distributed computing
1. What is Cloud Computing? - Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we'll look at cloud computing, which is an area of computer technology focused on providing computer services over the Internet. Following the lesson, you can take a quiz.
2. Public, Private & Hybrid Cloud Computing
The Cloud is on every business leader's mind these days. It represents opportunity and presence. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the Cloud and the various permutations it can take.
3. Computer Platforms: Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson will explain what a computer platform is, describe the different sizes and types, and discuss the uses for the different types - one size definitely does not fit all! We will also touch on cloud-based computing platforms.
4. PaaS and IaaS
The Cloud is on every business' mind these days. And with its capabilities, it's easy to see why. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the cloud and two significant areas of offering: PaaS and IaaS.
5. What is SaaS? - Definition, Examples & Benefits
Have you sent a message on Twitter or shared a picture on Facebook? These are examples of SaaS, or software as a service. In this lesson we will learn about SaaS and how it's used.
6. What is Cloud Storage? - Definition & Concept
Cloud Storage is networked storage, or disk space, available over a specific network - the Internet. In this lesson, learn what Cloud storage allows you to do as well as how it is installed.
7. Cloud Computing Security Issues
This lesson will cover issues with cloud computing. With so many companies storing data in the cloud, it is important that you take a step back and evaluate the security issues surrounding having data stored off-site.
8. What Is a Virtual Private Network (VPN)? - Definition & Types
A virtual private network (VPN) provides a way to use network resources securely in a remote manner. In this lesson, we'll cover why we use VPNs, what types of VPNs are used, and what is necessary in order for VPNs to work.
9. What Is Virtual Storage? - Solutions, Appliances & Management
In this lesson you will learn about virtual storage. You will learn why it is used, the hardware or appliances that can be used to facilitate it and how virtual storage is managed.
10. Virtualization: Definition & Benefits
Virtualization is a hot topic these days, particularly in business. In this lesson, we'll take a look at virtualization, including what it is and some benefits of using it.
11. What is Distributed Computing? - Principles, Environments & Applications
Some computing tasks require the power of multiple computers. Learn how distributed computing coordinates tasks performed on multiple computers at the same time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TECEP Network Technology: Study Guide & Test Prep course