About This Chapter
Cloud Services Enabling Technologies - Chapter Summary
This introductory cloud computing chapter explores a variety of cloud services enabling technologies. Share this chapter with your employees to get them educated on several cloud-related technologies and methods, including:
- Software defined networks
- Identity and access management
- Virtual machines
The chapter is entirely self-paced, and your employees can review these simple lessons on any computer or mobile device. Our subject-matter experts are available to answer any questions your employees may have. Finally, you can have your employees verify their understanding of the information by taking the included assessments.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Lessons help employees become aware of virtualization technology terms and modes.
- Explains practical applications: The chapter helps employees see the purpose and functions of identity and access management and software defined networks.
- Improves VirtualBox skills: Employees who complete the chapter will be able to perform a variety of installation, networking and access functions in VirtualBox.
By the end of the chapter, your employees should be able to:
- Compare types of virtualization technology
- Explain the purpose of software defined networks
- Discuss the functions of identity and access management in cloud computing
- Install Linux on a VirtualBox
- Enable virtual machine remote access in VirtualBox
- Use VirtualBox to network virtual machines
1. Virtualization Technology: Types, Modes & Terms
Imagine a Linux instance running side by side with a Windows one, on a single computer, at the same time! Virtualization technology makes this possible. In this lesson you will study more about virtualization technology and the different concepts associated with it.
2. Software Defined Network: Definition & Purpose
This lesson covers Software Defined Networking (SDN), the paradigm that enables making changes to complex networks which are typically challenging to adjust. You will study what SDN does and how.
3. Identity, Credential, and Access Management (ICAM) in Cloud Computing
This lesson will teach concepts associated with authentication when dealing with cloud computing. Definitions of identity, credentials, and access management will be provided, as they relate to cloud computing.
4. How to Install Linux on a VirtualBox
This lesson shows a step-by-step process to install a Linux distribution on VirtualBox host using Ubuntu as an example. You'll discover how easy it is to explore Linux while keeping your existing operating system without partitioning or rebooting.
5. How to Enable Remote Access to a Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
This lesson will teach the reader how to enable remote access to a console session on a virtual machine, when the need arises, within Oracle's Virtual Box software.
6. How to Network Virtual Machines in VirtualBox
Virtual Machines (VMs) run isolated from each other on one large host. However, as conventional computers communicate over a network, VMs can also be connected in different ways. In this lesson, we will study some of the networking scenarios available for creating a network of VMs and apply one of them in practice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.