About This Chapter
CMMP Exam: Market Segmentation & Positioning - Chapter Summary
When you take the Certified Marketing Management Professional (CMMP) exam, you'll encounter questions on the subject of market segmentation and positioning. You can use the concise lessons in this chapter to get a better understanding of this topic. Each of the lessons will cover a specific subtopic you might be tested on, such as:
- Why market segments are important
- Geographics, demographics and psychographics of market segmentation
- The steps to segmenting business markets
- Target market strategies
- Ethical and unethical target marketing
- The definition and examples of positioning strategy
- Brand repositioning
You can also use the chapter's practice quizzes to prepare yourself for the types of questions you'll come across on the exam. There's even a sheet of quiz questions and answers you can print out for offline study.
1. Market Segmentation: Why Market Segments Are Important to Marketers
Marketing managers must understand the importance of segmenting a market and the specific criteria for successful segmentation. Before the 1960's, most companies tried to market products to the masses with declining success. It is important to identify key target markets!
2. Market Segmentation: Geographic, Demographic, Psychographic & More
Marketers must be effective at creating niche segments to promote and sell their products or services. There are five specific ways that markets can be segmented in order to create a successful sales opportunity.
3. How to Segment Business Markets Step-by-Step
Discover the four segments of business marketing in this lesson. You will also learn the distinguishing characteristics of each segment so you may easily identify each of them.
4. Target Market Strategies for Successful Business
If you've ever felt persuaded to buy an item by an ad, you've likely been defined as part of a target market. Though you may not know it, advertisements are created specifically for people similar to you. In this lesson, you'll learn how marketing firms identify a target market, create basic target market strategies and use a marketing mix for a product or service.
5. Retail Segments, Target Markets and Marketing Strategies
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify four different retail segments and gain an understanding of how producers of goods and services use different types of retailers to reach the different target markets that buy their products.
6. Ethical & Unethical Target Marketing in Business
Companies are desperate to acquire customers, and some will use inappropriate ways to gain their attention. In this lesson, you'll learn how to discern ethical from unethical target marketing, using the example of marketing to vulnerable populations.
7. Positioning Strategy: Definition & Examples
Manufacturing and service firms need to find a business area that will allow them to be competitive in the marketplace. In this lesson, we will examine different positioning strategies through examples.
8. Positioning and Differentiation in Consumer Marketing
Consumers' perceptions of products and brands are influenced by the marketing and promotional plan. Marketers must identify the key characteristics that are important to the target market and then ensure that their product stands out in the minds of the consumers as the best choice for purchase.
9. Brand Repositioning: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Is your company stuck in a rut? Are sales declining? It may be time for a change - a big change. This lesson reviews strategies a company can use to reposition itself in the marketplace and how to successfully implement them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CMMP Exam Study Guide - Certified Marketing Management Professional course
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Management
- CMMP Exam: Integrated Marketing Communication
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Channel Management
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Strategy
- CMMP Exam: Corporate Social Responsibility
- CMMP Exam: Product Development
- CMMP Exam: Pricing
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Plan
- CMMP Exam: Brand Management
- CMMP Exam: Global Marketing
- CMMP Exam: Relationship Marketing
- CMMP Exam: Internet Marketing
- CMMP Exam: Consumer Behavior
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Research
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Intelligence System
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Ethics & Compliance
- CMMP Exam: Specialized Marketing
- CMMP Exam: Marketing Performance Measurement
- CMMP Exam: Professional Proficiency in Attitudes & Abilities
- CMMP Exam: Professional Proficiency in Ethics
- CMMP Exam: Critical Relevant Proficiencies
- CMMP Exam Study Guide - Certified Marketing Management Professional Flashcards