About This Chapter
Coaching & Feedback in Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons were composed by our professional instructors to provide managerial employees a way to review/learn how to communicate with other employees. Your employees can discover their strengths and weaknesses, improve their confidence and boost their overall performance. These lessons cover such topics as:
- How to empower and motivate employees
- Various types of employee evaluations
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Follow-up messages and how they can be beneficial
- Control mechanisms used to achieve organizational goals
Since these lessons are mobile device-compatible, employees can review them even when they are not at their office computer. They will also have an opportunity to test their knowledge with the brief lesson quizzes.
How It Helps
- Strengthens communication skills: Communication skills are very important in workplaces, especially at the managerial level.
- Improve employee morale: Using the strategies presented in this chapter will help you empower your employees and improve their confidence.
- Increase productivity: Constructive feedback will help employees discover their strengths and weaknesses, thus allowing them to improve their productivity.
By the end of this chapter, managerial employees will be able to:
- Conduct performance appraisals
- Give constructive feedback
- Send helpful follow-up messages
1. How to Empower Employees & Improve Employee Performance
Empowered employees have the potential to reach high levels of productivity because they feel in control of their jobs. This lesson will describe how a manager can empower an employee to motivate employee performance.
2. Practical Application: Employee Empowerment Scenarios
Empowered employees are happy and productive employees. Here, you'll find three hypothetical scenarios where you need to write down your plan for empowering a struggling employee.
3. Performance Appraisal and 360 Feedback
Employee evaluations are a way managers can assess job performance and provide feedback to employees. An employee's performance is measured using various types of evaluation systems, including top-down appraisal, management by objectives (MBO), self-assessment and 360 degree feedback.
4. Giving and Responding to Constructive Feedback
Giving and receiving feedback in a work environment allows individuals to understand how they are performing in their job. There are suggestions that individuals can follow to better understand how to deal with criticism.
5. The Importance of Message Follow-Up
Business communications depends on excellent writing and good message follow-up. In order to get a response for feedback, comments, information or purchase orders there are some suggestions to follow to have a successful result.
6. Controlling as a Function of Management
In this lesson, we will explore the role of controlling as a function of management and its use of various control mechanisms to reach organizational goals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.