About This Chapter
Coastal Geography for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
This collection of engaging elementary-level science lessons cover the basics of coastal geography. Assign your students these lessons to improve their comprehension of topics like estuaries, fjords, lagoons, straits, tributaries and much more. The chapter includes multiple-choice quizzes that you can use to assess your students' understanding of the lesson topics. You can also access the chapter at any time using virtually any computer or mobile device.
- Estuary ecosystems and biomes
- The Gulf of Mexico and its pollutants
- The Gulf Stream
- The Atlantic Coastal Plain
- The Bering Strait
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help learning about coastal geography will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about fundamental coastal geography concepts.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding coastal geography facts
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about coastal geography
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about earth science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about coastal geography
- Students who struggle to understand their earth science teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra earth science resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the coastal geography topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts and highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about coastal geography.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands coastal geography concepts by administering the Coastal Geography for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Lesson for Kids: What is an Estuary? - Definition & Facts
Estuaries are safe places for animals and produce most of the seafood people eat. In this lesson, you'll learn exactly what an estuary is, how one is made and why it's important.
2. The Estuary Ecosystem & Biome: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn about the estuary ecosystem and biome. We will explore the geographical characteristics of estuaries as well as the habitats that they provide to plants and animals.
3. Fjord Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, you'll learn about an unusual landform called a fjord. Find out how they're formed, where they're located, and some interesting facts about fjords when you read this lesson.
4. Gulf of Mexico Facts: Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Gulf of Mexico, a large body of water that borders the U.S. and Mexico. Read on to find out why it's so valuable to the countries that border it.
5. Oil Spills & Pollution of the Gulf of Mexico Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, we'll talk about the Gulf of Mexico, a body of water off the coast of the southeastern United States, and find out how oil spills, pollution, and actions by people have caused serious harm in recent years.
6. Lesson for Kids: What is a Gulf? - Definition & Facts
The Gulf of Mexico is a well-known body of water. Do you know why it's called a 'gulf'? In this lesson, you'll find out what gulfs are and how they're made. You'll also learn about some interesting gulfs.
7. What is the Gulf Stream? - Lesson for Kids
Learn about one of the major currents affecting the Atlantic Ocean - the Gulf Stream. In this lesson you will learn what the Gulf Stream is, how it was discovered, and how it affects weather and travel.
8. Isthmus Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
There's a lot of land on Earth. Why would some very narrow strips of land be very important? In this lesson, you'll find out what an isthmus is and how isthmuses have impacted our world in important ways.
9. Lagoon Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Many people confuse lagoons with lakes, bays, estuaries, and other bodies of water. So, what is a lagoon? In this lesson, you'll find out about the two ways lagoons form, and what these lagoons look like.
10. Peninsula Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
'Peninsula' is a funny-sounding word, but you've probably been on a peninsula yourself. Learn about the Korean peninsula, the Italian peninsula, and other famous peninsulas like the state of Florida.
11. Atlantic Coastal Plain Lesson for Kids
The Atlantic Coastal Plain is located along the eastern and southeastern areas of the United States. In this lesson, learn about the land, wildlife, and features of this coastal area.
12. Strait Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
A strait is a narrow passage that connects two larger bodies of water. In this lesson, learn how straits are formed and discover some amazing facts about famous straits around the world.
13. The Bering Strait Land Bridge Lesson for Kids
The Bering Strait land bridge was a very narrow piece of land connecting what is known as Asia and North America today. The land bridge that once existed has a long history in helping human migration throughout the world. Learn more about it now.
14. Tributary Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Not all rivers flow into the sea or the ocean! Some flow into other rivers - they're called tributaries. Learn about tributaries and how they flow into other rivers at confluences to form river systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science for Kids course
- Overview of Astronomy for Elementary School
- Branches of Science for Elementary School
- Climate for Elementary School
- Overview of Geology for Elementary School
- Insects for Elementary School
- Types of Weather for Elementary School
- Understanding Matter for Elementary School
- Volcanoes for Elementary School
- Geologic Time for Elementary School
- Dinosaurs for Kids
- Fossils for Elementary School
- Oceans for Elementary School
- Landforms for Elementary School
- Spheres of the Earth for Elementary School
- Bodies of Water for Elementary School
- Islands for Elementary School
- Lakes for Elementary School
- Landmarks for Elementary School
- Mountains for Elementary School
- Plateaus for Elementary School
- Seas for Elementary School