About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your cognition and cognitive development homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample questions and get instant feedback.
- Finish your cognition and cognitive development homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Attention as part of cognitive development
- Information processing stages
- The role of play in a child's cognitive development
- Cognitive development in infants, children and adolescents
- Lev Vygotsky's cognitive development theory
- Memory and information processing over a lifetime
- Knowledge and change in intelligence over a lifetime
1. Attention as Part of Cognitive Development: Definition & Process
We pay attention in various ways, every day. In this lesson, we will look into the four types of attention we consistently use and look at how attention spans change throughout a lifetime.
2. What is Information Processing? - Definition & Stages
How do we interact with and process information in our daily lives? Psychologists use the theory of information processing to explain it. They also use the theory to talk about our stages of memory.
3. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
4. Cognitive Development in Infants: Object Permanence & Sensorimotor Periods
There is no time like infancy - it is the first exposure people have to the world. According to Jean Piaget, there are six stages infants go through as they develop cognitively and learn to act in their environment.
5. Cognitive Development in Children and Adolescents
If you were to observe children growing into their teenage years, you would notice their thinking and understanding develops over time. In this lesson, you will learn about the specific stages of mental growth in children and adolescents as outlined by Jean Piaget.
6. Lev Vygotsky's Theory of Cognitive Development
The role of culture and social interactions are imperative to cognitive development, according to psychologist, Lev Vygotsky. This lesson will discuss how social interactions play a role in cognitive development of children, provide an overview of Vygotsky's cultural-historical theory and describe the stages of speech and language development.
7. Memory and Information Processing Over Time
Memory is something we rely on throughout our lives. But, how does it first develop? In this lesson, we will explore the first signs of memory in infants and how memory changes over our lives.
8. Knowledge and Change in Intelligence Over Time
In this lesson, we will look at Raymond Cattell's two types of intelligence: fluid and crystallized. We will also look at convergent and divergent ways of thinking and changes in intelligence over time.
9. Cognitive Component of Attitude: Definition & Example
Did you know that attitudes can be broken down into three components? In this lesson, we'll explore the cognitive component of attitude using examples of people who volunteer at a pet shelter.
10. Cognitive Reframing: Definition, Techniques & Examples
We all have negative thoughts from time to time. Psychologists have developed ways to try and change negative thinking to positive thinking. In this lesson, we'll talk about cognitive reframing, which is a technique to try and help us think more positively.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Homework Help Resource course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Development: Homework Help
- Homework Help for Human Growth & Development Research Methods
- Genetic Influences on Development: Homework Help
- Biological Development: Homework Help
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Homework Help
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Homework Help
- Language Development: Homework Help
- Social Development: Homework Help
- Social Relationship Development: Homework Help
- Atypical Development: Homework Help