About This Chapter
Cognition & Intelligence - Chapter Summary
Strengthen your knowledge of cognition and intelligence with help from fun video and text lessons you can access anytime. This chapter simplifies the process of understanding the role intelligence and cognition play in psychological functioning. Take control of your studies by reviewing these lessons based on own tailor-made schedule. When finished, you will be ready to:
- Describe how different types of play impact cognitive development in children
- Discuss changes in cognitive development during adolescence
- Provide details about the basics of intellectual development
- Detail the history of intelligence testing, and discuss types of intelligence tests
- List psychosocial and physiological factors of cognition
- Define and discuss Freud's theory of psychoanalysis
Lessons in this chapter are accessible 24/7 from any computer or mobile device, making it easy for you to study cognition and intelligence concepts whenever and wherever your schedule permits. Use the lessons to get a better understanding of this subject area, and take short quizzes to assess your comprehension. Navigate resources in any sequence, and access them as many times as you desire. Feel confident that you grasp all lesson concepts by taking the practice chapter exam.
1. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
2. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
3. Studying Intelligence: History, Psychologists & Theories
We all want to be smart in one way or another, but what exactly is general intelligence? This lesson takes a look at the possible factors behind intellectual development and how this controversial topic has been examined by psychologists.
4. Intelligence Testing and Types
Most people have heard of IQ. But how is it measured and what does it mean? In this lesson, we'll look at the history of intelligence testing, major types of intelligence tests, and the debate and controversy over intelligence.
5. Physiological & Psychological Factors of Cognition
We can use our minds to create art, learn languages, construct marvelous inventions, and investigate remote mathematics conclusions. In this lesson, we'll discuss the physiological and psychological factors that allow us to do wonderful things with our minds.
6. Psychoanalysis Theory: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will focus on the definition of psychoanalysis, discuss Freud's theory of psychoanalysis, and delve into the concepts behind his theory. When you get to the end of the lesson, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards