About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Definitions and perspectives on cognitive disorders||What is a cognitive disorder?|
Current and historical views on cognitive disorders
|Definition, causes and treatment of delirium,|
Definition, causes and treatment of dementia
Dementia vs. Alzheimer's,
|Definition, causes and treatment of amnesia,|
Differences between dementia and Alzheimer's and impact of both on aging
|Thursday||Alcohol and drug-induced cognitive disorders||Symptoms, causes and treatments for Korsakoff's syndrome, substance-induced delirium and substance-induced dementia|
|Friday||Problems associated with aging||Old age and stress, late-life depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse and psychotic disorders|
1. What Are Cognitive Disorders? - Definition and Perspectives
The human ability to think is what sets us apart from the other animals. But what happens when memories or the ability to learn disappears? In this lesson we'll look at three common types of cognitive disorders: dementia, delirium, and amnestic disorders.
2. What Is Delirium? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
What does it mean to be delirious? What might cause someone to be confused and disoriented, and what can be done to treat it? In this lesson, we'll look at the symptoms, causes, and treatment of delirium.
3. Dementia: Definition, Symptoms & Care
Whether due to Alzheimer's disease or drug abuse, dementia affects many people. In this lesson, we'll look closer at the symptoms, causes and treatment for dementia.
4. Amnestic Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for Amnesia
Our memories shape, and in many ways define who we are. But what happens when you lose your memories? In this lesson, we'll look at amnestic disorders, their causes and treatments.
5. Dementia and Alzheimer's: Differences & Impact on Aging
In this lesson, you will learn what dementia is and is not through definitions and examples. You will also examine Alzheimer's disease, the leading cause of dementia and memory loss in the elderly.
6. Alcohol and Drug-Induced Cognitive Disorders: Types, Causes & Symptoms
Everyone knows the risks with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. But did you also know that long-term alcohol and drug use can cause problems with the way your brain functions? In this lesson, we'll look closer at some common substance-induced cognitive disorders.
7. Problems Associated with Aging: Depression, Stress, Anxiety and Other Later-in-Life Disorders
With age comes wisdom, but it also comes with a bunch of problems. In this lesson, we'll look at some psychological problems that can plague older adults, including depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and psychosis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Research Methods Lesson Plans
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- The Biological Model of Abnormality Lesson Plans
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior Lesson Plans
- The Diathesis-Stress Model Lesson Plans
- Clinical Assessment in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Anxiety Disorders Lesson Plans
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Stress Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders Lesson Plans
- Substance Use Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Psychotic Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Life-Span Development Disorders in Psychology Lesson Plans
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Factitious Disorders in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology Lesson Plans