About This Chapter
Cognitive & Socioemotional Benefits of Physical Activity - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can go over all of the important details concerning the cognitive and socioemotional benefits of physical activity. Each lesson analyzes individual topics, making it easier to review terms and major concepts. At the end of this chapter, you should be able to answer questions about the following:
- Influences fitness has on learning
- Impact of exercise on brain development
- Effects of play on cognitive development
- Promoting cognitive development within P.E. programs
- Benefits of sports participation
- Using fitness to encourage positive behavior
- Fitness participation and sociocultural benefits
- Classroom applications of prosocial and moral behavior
As you prepare for an upcoming exam, you may not always be able to study at home, which is why we give you review materials that are 100% mobile. With an active Internet connection, you can log on to our site with your phone, computer, laptop, or tablet. That means you can read through a lesson while you wait in line at the grocery store, or you can watch a video lesson while you're sitting on the bus.
Besides being able to study at any Wi-Fi hotspot, we also give you the opportunity to study when it fits your schedule. Since we stream all of our materials online, you will never have to worry about making tutoring appointments or coming in during operating hours. Everything we offer is at your fingertips all day and all night.
1. How Fitness Influences Learning
This lesson provides a quick overview of how fitness and a little exercise before testing can improve children's learning process. We get down to the scientific reason and look at a few case studies to understand how it works.
2. The Benefits of Exercise on the Developing Brain
The brain continues to change as you age and develop. This lesson examines the interaction of exercise with the brain, and subsequent changes to cognition.
3. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
4. Fostering Cognitive Development in Physical Education Programs
This lesson discusses strategies for using physical education to promote critical thinking, goal-setting, decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills in students.
5. Physical, Social and Emotional Benefits of Participating in Sports
Participation in sports has a positive impact on youth. This lesson will examine some of the physical, social, and emotional benefits that are gained through athletics.
6. Promoting Positive Behavior With Fitness
In this lesson, we will read about ways to promote positive behavior with fitness. We will explore the related methodologies including health promotion, crime reduction, community involvement, and social media. We'll also look at important developmental aspects such as honesty and sportsmanship.
7. The Sociocultural Benefits of Participating in Fitness
Physical activity offers many benefits. This lesson will focus on the sociocultural benefits of participation in physical activities. We will end with a short quiz to gauge what you have learned.
8. Moral & Prosocial Behavior: Definitions & Examples of Classroom Applications
Caring, volunteering, empathizing with others: these are all traits of moral and prosocial behavior. As children age, they develop such moral and prosocial behaviors and traits. This lesson will define these key terms and discuss ways to promote moral and prosocial behavior in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Physical Education K-12 (063): Practice & Study Guide course
- History & Philosophy of Physical Education
- Physical Education Curriculum Development
- Instructional Strategies for Physical Education
- Human Growth & Development
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Physical Activity & Fitness
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Anatomy & Exercise Physiology
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Assessment in Physical Education
- Sports & Recreation
- Professional Development for Physical Education Teachers
- Using Technology in Physical Education
- FTCE Physical Education K-12 Flashcards