About This Chapter
Common Human Disorders - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes thorough coverage of diabetes with separate lessons addressing type 1 and type 2 that will refresh your memory on the risk factors and fundamental differences. Another area of focus is that of sexually transmitted infections, including lessons on types, symptoms, treatments and risk reduction. Additional material in the chapter covers:
- Immune deficiency and autoimmune diseases
- Genetic disorders and their symptoms
- Common endocrine diseases and related hormones
- Obstructive, infective and restrictive respiratory diseases
- Causes, symptoms and treatments of allergies and asthma
The text lessons for each of the major topics have their key terms indicated with bold print. Watch the video lessons for short and effective reviews of these common human disorders. You can use the convenient video tags to pick and choose the specific points you want to examine again.
1. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
2. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
3. Allergies and Asthma: Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson explores the meaning of allergies and asthma and how they may interact with one another at the same time. You'll learn about allergic rhinitis, intrinsic asthma and extrinsic asthma as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatment options of each.
4. Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions & Types
What is an autoimmune disease? Why does it occur? What are some examples of autoimmune diseases? This lesson will describe myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and much more.
5. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
6. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
7. Reducing Your Risk for Sexually Transmitted Infections
This lesson will describe for you the many ways by which you can help prevent a terrible STD from affecting your body, including abstinence, mutual monogamy, and more!
8. Type 1 Diabetes: Risk Factors, Signs & Treatment
Diabetes affects 26 million people (nearly 9% of the population) in the United States. But not all cases of diabetes are the same. The focus of this lesson is type 1 diabetes. We'll learn what it is, why it occurs, and how it affects the body in both the short- and long-term.
9. Type 2 Diabetes: Risk Factors, Signs & Treatment
As many as 57 million people in the United States are on the path to becoming diabetic. Over 90% of them will be type 2 diabetics. But, what is this disease, and why has it become so prevalent? This lesson explores the risk factors, symptoms, and treatment of type 2 diabetes.
10. What are Genetic Disorders? - Definitions & Descriptions
This lesson defines genetic disorders and explores three main types of genetic disorders, including monogenetic disorders, chromosome disorders, and multifactorial inheritance disorders. You'll learn about genes, chromosomes, DNA, and much more!
11. Types of Genetic Disorders: Definitions & Symptoms
Cystic fibrosis, Huntington's disease, Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell disease, Down syndrome, and cancer all have something in common. They are all genetic disorders, and we will discuss why they may occur and what problems they might cause.
12. Osteoarthritis: Causes, Mechanism, and Treatment
This lesson will discuss osteoarthritis. We'll talk about the basic pathophysiology behind what occurs in this condition, the risk factors involved, and the way by which it can be diagnosed and treated.
13. What is Rheumatoid Arthritis? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson explores a very common and well-known form of inflammatory arthritis called rheumatoid arthritis. We'll discuss why it occurs, how it can be diagnosed, how it differs from osteoarthritis, and how it can be treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Biology (305): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- Overview of Chemical Bonds and Reactions
- Structure and Function of Macromolecules
- How Enzymes Work
- Basics of Metabolic Biochemistry
- Overview of Cell Division
- Process of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Basics of Gene Mutations
- Mechanisms of Biological Evolution
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Requirements of Biological Systems
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Cardiovascular Disorders
- Neurological Disorders
- Populations and Biological Communities
- Overview of Animal Behavior
- Ecosystems and Biomes
- Biochemical Cycles
- Human Activity and the Biosphere
- NES Biology Flashcards