About This Chapter
Communicable Disease Overview - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter will provide an overview of communicable diseases. Topics covered include bacterial infections, major viruses, and more. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand types and causes of pathogens and disease
- Reference disease-causing agents in the environment
- Discuss the difference between viral and bacterial infections
- Use medical terminology of major viruses
- Explain common bacterial diseases in humans
- Explore diseases caused by protists
- Recognize fungi and parasite terminology
Our subject-matter experts present the information in these short videos in an engaging manner. Their teaching strategy includes plenty of examples to ensure the material is easily understood. The video timelines let you navigate the videos and review topics in order of your preference. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as worksheets.
1. Pathogens and Disease: Definitions, Types & Causes
There are many different types of pathogens and many problems they cause. This lesson will teach you about four main types of pathogens, examples of each, and what problems they cause.
2. Disease-Causing Agents in the Environment: Definition and Types
In this video lesson, you will identify different disease-causing agents. You will also explore examples of types of disease-causing agents and their effects on human health.
3. Difference Between Viral & Bacterial Infections
This lesson is on viral versus bacterial infections. In this lesson we'll cover what a virus is and how it is different from a bacterium. We'll also go over examples of viral and bacterial infections.
4. Medical Terminology of Major Viruses
In this lesson, we are going to spend some time discussing a few members of the different major families of viruses that affect people. The signs and symptoms will also be discussed.
5. Common Bacterial Diseases in Humans
Have you wondered what some of the more common bacterial diseases that affect humans are? This lesson goes over some of them as well as the problems they cause.
6. Diseases Caused by Protists
Protists cause some truly devastating human diseases, which is saying a lot for a microscopic, simple organism that often needs help from other organisms to reach its human targets. Here, you will learn about protists and the diseases they cause.
7. Fungi & Parasite Terminology
We will discuss a working definition for fungi and look at a couple of common fungal infections. Parasites will also be defined and discussed. We will touch on a few parasitic infections.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GCSE Biology: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Process of Scientific Thinking
- Steps of the Scientific Method
- Analyzing & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Mathematics in Science
- Scientific Vocabulary & Measurement
- Cell Structure & Differentiation
- Understanding Cell Division
- Understanding Cell Transportation
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Structure & Function of the Digestive System
- The Human Circulatory System
- Non-Communicable Diseases Overview
- Disease Defense, Prevention & Treatment
- Plant Tissues & Organs
- Plant Disease & Defenses
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Human Nervous System Overview
- Hormones in the Endocrine & Urinary Systems
- Hormones & Reproduction
- Plant Hormones
- Sexual & Asexual Reproduction
- DNA Structure & Genomes
- Genetic Inheritance
- Genetics Disorders
- Genetic Variation & Evolution
- Genetic Engineering & Cloning
- Theories of Biology
- Evidence Supporting Evolution
- Classification of Living Organisms
- Ecology & Biodiversity
- Trophic Levels & Biomass Energy
- Nutrient Cycles in an Ecosystem
- Human Impacts on Biodiversity & Ecosystems
- Food Production & Sustainability
- GCSE Biology Flashcards