About This Chapter
Communicating Change in Busniess - Chapter Summary
Learn how change is communicated in business settings with this self-paced study guide chapter. Using a simplified teaching approach, our instructors explain a variety of workplace communication topics, including communication barriers, challenges and improvement strategies. The chapter includes lesson-specific quizzes as well as a comprehensive chapter exam. You can access these resources any time using your computer or mobile device. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Explain basic organizational communication concepts
- Discuss the strategic communication imperative
- Explain the importance of workplace communication
- Recognize examples of internal communication in organizations
- Differentiate between the grapevine and formal communication networks
- Identify effective communication barriers
- Evaluate opportunities and challenges pertaining to communication in diverse work environments
- Assess organizational communication improvement strategies
1. Organizational Communication
If you've ever had a job, you likely understand that there are different ways to communicate with colleagues and employers. This lesson describes the role of organizational communication in the workplace while defining terms such as downward, upward, horizontal and informal communication.
2. The Strategic Communication Imperative in Organizations
In this lesson, we will discuss the strategic communication imperative and the way it is utilized by organizations in both internal and external groups to help fulfill organizational missions and long-term goals.
3. Workplace Communication: Importance, Strategies & Examples
Workplace communication is very important to companies because it allows companies to be productive and operate effectively. Employees can experience an increase in morale, productivity and commitment if they are able to communicate up and down the communication chain in an organization.
4. Internal Communication in an Organization: Definition, Strategies & Examples
Communication is essential for organizational success. In this lesson, you'll learn about internal communication and strategies used for effective internal communication.
5. Formal Communication Networks vs. the Grapevine: Definition & Contrast
Formal communication networks consist of centralized and decentralized channels, while the grapevine is an informal network. In this lesson, you'll learn how most organizational communication happens using an informal network due to friends, usage and efficiency.
6. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
7. Communicating in a Diverse Work Environment: Opportunities & Challenges
Today's workforce is a very diverse group, including people from all walks of life. This offers specific challenges and opportunities for communication within a company. In this lesson, we'll examine how diversity affects corporate communication.
8. Strategies for Improving Organizational Communication
Virtually all business activities require carefully thought out organizational communication. This lesson will explore strategies to improve and maximize the benefits of good organizational communications.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 304: Leading Organizational Change course
- How Leadership Affects Organizational Change
- Leadership Theories & Organizational Change
- Types of Leadership in Business
- Power & Leadership in Business Organizations
- Choosing Organizational Structures
- Change Factors in Organizations
- Management Functions & Organizational Change
- Organizational Change Theories
- Strategies for Implementing Changes in Business
- Organizational Change & Company Culture
- Corporate Vision, Mission & Change
- Issues in Leading Organizational Change
- Globalization & Organizational Change
- Required Assignments for Business 304
- Studying for Business 304