About This Chapter
Communicating in a Team Environment - Chapter Summary
We all know that effective internal communication is vital to a company's success. In these lessons, though, our instructors delve into the details of why this statement is true and help your employees fully understand what effective team communication means. Specifically, employees will learn the following:
- Why effective communication is a must in a team environment
- Different ways to communicate with employees and colleagues
- Methods of communication used by managers
- The four elements of effective communication
- How technology is changing collaborative processes
Our corporate training video lessons are taught by experienced business professionals. The lessons are short, around five minutes each, and can be watched in the office or anywhere in the world, using a laptop or mobile device. A chapter exam is available so you can verify how well your employees grasped the key concepts presented in the lessons.
How It Helps
- Emphasizes collaboration: Strong communication skills lead to a more cohesive and productive team environment.
- Creates awareness: Employees will become more conscious of different ways to communicate with colleagues and managers and understand the elements of effective communication.
- Enhances tech savvy: These lessons show how technologies used for group communication and collaboration are changing the way people work together.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Comprehend the critical role effective communication plays in the success of a company
- Explain how communication in an organization works
- Identify the elements of effective communication to improve information sharing
- Describe available technologies that can enhance group collaboration
1. Why Communication Matters in the Workplace
Effective communication is a 2-way information sharing process that strengthens the workplace by helping employees understand directions, complete tasks and become successful. It also provides a vital key to cooperation and productivity.
2. Organizational Communication
If you've ever had a job, you likely understand that there are different ways to communicate with colleagues and employers. This lesson describes the role of organizational communication in the workplace while defining terms such as downward, upward, horizontal and informal communication.
3. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
4. Elements of Effective Communication in the Workplace
Effective communication is a necessity in the workplace. There are four elements of effective communication that help improve the two-way information sharing process. These four specific elements involve being concise and clear, practical, factual and persuasive.
5. Practical Application: Effective Workplace Communication Scenarios
Working with others requires engaging in effective communication. But how can leaders make sure their communication is effective? These scenarios will help you hone your communication skills and use the five elements of effective communication.
6. Technologies for Group Communication and Collaboration: Groupware, Teleconferencing & Virtual Worlds
Technologies for group communication and collaboration allow intricate business relationships to exist and deliver productivity no matter where the employee is located. Groupware, teleconferencing and virtual worlds are three ways that technology is changing the face of the workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Mastering Effective Team Communication in the Workplace course