About This Chapter
Communication Basics in Sales - Chapter Summary
Have your company's sales professional consult this chapter to review the basics of communication. Designed specifically for sales professionals, this chapter covers the foundations of:
- Oral, written, interpersonal and non-verbal communication
- The communication process
- Communication skills
- Barriers to effective communication
The chapter also includes brief assessments that are designed to solidify your sales professionals' comprehension of the material. The chapter is available to study at any time, and your sales professionals can access it on any computer or mobile device.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Lessons offer sales professionals a quick way to develop an awareness of basic communication types.
- Highlights important skills: The chapter explains key communication skills that are necessary for sales professionals.
- Improves communication skills : Insight into communication processes and styles can help sales professionals become better at communicating with clients.
By the end of the chapter, your company's sales professionals should be able to:
- Differentiate between interpersonal, non-verbal, oral and written communication
- Outline the process of communication
- Recognize examples of effective communication skills
- Identify the communication skills that sales professionals need
- Analyze communication barriers
1. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
2. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
3. Communication Skills: Definition & Examples
In this lesson you will learn the definition of communication skills and types of communication skills with examples. Following the lesson will be a brief quiz.
4. Key Communication Skills for Sales Professionals
Communication skills can be a deal breaker for sales professionals and their customers. In this lesson, you'll learn more about some key communication skills that will set a great sales professional apart.
5. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.