About This Chapter
Communication Between Family & Friends-Chapter Summary & Learning Objectives
What does communication look like when we use it with our families and friends? In this chapter, you'll take a look at the characteristics of communication with friends and family members. Use the lesson quizzes within this chapter to evaluate your learning. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to understand:
- How families are defined
- How communication patterns differ between family and friends
- What elements influence communication with family and friends
- The various levels of friendship
|What is Family?-Definition, Characteristics & Types||Discover the meaning of family, its features, and the different kinds of family.|
|Family Communication Patterns||Study the numerous family communication patterns.|
|Influences on Family Communication: Culture, Gender & Technology||Explore how culture, gender, and technology impact communication between family members.|
|Friends & Communication: Definition, Types & Aspects||Examine the meaning of friends and identify the different kinds of friends.|
|Needs in a Friendship: Utility, Affirmation, Ego, Support, Stimulation & Security||Understand the essential needs in a friendship.|
|The Stages of Friendship: Contact, Involvement & Close/Intimate||Analyze the phases of friendship.|
|Influences on Communication Amongst Friends: Culture, Gender & Technology||Identify how culture, gender, and technology affect the ways in which friends communicate.|
1. What is Family? - Definition, Characteristics & Types
Family is something that influences each and every one of us. So, it's pretty important. Explore the definition and characteristics of family and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Family Communication Patterns
In this lesson, you will explore ways in which families interact and discover the relationship between power and communication. Then you'll be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Influences on Family Communication: Culture, Gender & Technology
We communicate with all sorts of people, so what makes families any different? In this lesson, we are going to look a bit closer at communication within the family and discover what sort of influences play into how, when, and why we even try.
4. Friends & Communication: Definition, Types & Aspects
Think about your friends. I'll bet you have many different types of friendships in your life. In this lesson, we'll examine the major types of friendships, and how different types of friends communicate with each other.
5. Needs in a Friendship: Utility, Affirmation, Ego Support, Stimulation & Security
Why do you have friends? What do you get out of your friendships? In this lesson, we'll examine friendships and the five major types of benefits to friendship, including utility, stimulation, affirmation, ego support, and security.
6. The Stages of Friendship: Contact, Involvement & Close/Intimate
Like other relationships, friendships go through certain stages. In this lesson, we'll look at the three major stages of friendship while also learning how communication works in each.
7. Influences on Communication Amongst Friends: Culture, Gender & Technology
Communication is one of the fundamental aspects of a friendship, but it can be deeply influenced by outside factors. Explore the impact culture, gender, and technology have on communication between friends, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
8. Communicating With and About People with Disabilities
We all want to be polite, but we often get nervous when communicating with or about people with disabilities. In this lesson, explore good communication habits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Communications 102: Interpersonal Communication course
- Overview of Interpersonal Communication
- The Impact of Culture on Interpersonal Communication
- Perception & Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
- The Importance of Effective Listening
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Overview & Principles of Conversation Management
- Relationship Theory in Interpersonal Communication
- Communication in Relationships
- The Process of Conflict Management
- The Role of Power in Interpersonal Relationships
- Emotions & Emotional Expression
- Interpersonal Communication in Love & Relationships
- Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
- Computer-Mediated Communication
- Studying for Communications 102