About This Chapter
Communication & Collaboration as a Teacher - Chapter Summary
Our convenient online learning platform offers brief lessons on communication and collaboration as a teacher. Packed with key concepts, there's information on culturally responsive teaching, how to report the learning progress to students and more. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain strategies for becoming an effective teacher
- Recall tips that can be used for parent-teacher conferences
- Describe methods for reporting learning progress to parents
- Recount how to improve student learning by collaborating with colleagues
- Discuss effective communication with education partners
- Outline strategies for culturally responsive teaching
Our knowledgeable instructors assist you with grasping the concepts presented by using helpful illustrations and real-world examples. To ensure you can recall important information, you can take a brief quiz that's provided for each lesson. A full written transcript accompanies the video lessons, which you can print and use as a text-based learning option.
1. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
2. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
3. Parent Teacher Conference Tips
'It takes a village to raise a child.' Although many know this to be an old African proverb, research has shown that student achievement increases when parents and teachers work together. This lesson will explore the importance of the parent-teacher conference when it comes to student success.
4. Parent-Teacher Conferences: Tips for Teachers
This lesson looks at the best tips for teachers for parent-teacher conferences, in order to help create positive results for both student and teacher. It gives practical examples of real-life situations. The lesson is followed by a practical quiz.
5. How to Report Learning Progress to Students & Parents
This lesson describes how to communicate learning progress. It specifically focuses on the tools of summative documentation, formative communication, and standardized documentation.
6. Communicating Effectively Within Positive Education Partnerships
In education, partnerships between teachers and parents, professionals, school and community groups, and others often exist to benefit young children. This lesson focuses on ways to communicate effectively to help these partnerships succeed.
7. Collaborating with Colleagues to Improve Student Learning
As a teacher, you are not alone. You have a variety of other professionals to call upon to help improve student learning. In this lesson, we look at how to leverage their expertise to improve outcomes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge Elementary (051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Physical, Social & Mental Development
- Development of Sense & Perception
- Cognition & Cognitive Development
- Factors Affecting Childhood Development
- Childhood Developmental Challenges
- Theories of Developmental Learning
- Student Learning & Performance
- Learning Assessments
- Constructing Student Assessments
- The Curriculum Planning Process
- Overview of Instructional Approaches
- Technology for Classroom Instruction
- Motivation in the Classroom
- Classroom Communication Strategies
- Learning Environments & Classroom Management Overview
- Roles of Professional Educators
- Legal & Ethical Guidelines for Educators
- Professional Development for Teachers
- NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge (Elementary) Flashcards