About This Chapter
Communication & Collaboration in Physical Education - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our professional instructors explain the value of clear verbal and nonverbal communication in a physical education classroom. They will show you what effective communication looks like and how to deliver it effectively. You will learn to deliver positive and constructive feedback as well as how to develop community involvement. By the end of the chapter you should feel confident to do the following:
- Apply respectful verbal and nonverbal communication strategies
- Analyze effective communication in a P.E. setting
- Evaluate positive instructional feedback
- Create a community surrounding your physical education program
The concepts covered in this chapter are presented through brief, engaging videos designed to deepen your study of communication practices. Each lesson has an accompanying transcript and self-assessment quiz to help you review the material and determine your own level of mastery. In addition, you can use the Timeline feature of the video recorder to review specific areas of each lesson. Be sure to track your progress on your dashboard.
1. Verbal & Nonverbal Communication in Physical Activity Settings
This lesson defines verbal and nonverbal communication and discusses their use in physical activity settings. It also describes different situations when the teacher decides which type communication is best.
2. Effective Communication in Physical Education Programs
In this lesson, we'll define effective communication techniques that demonstrate sensitivity to student differences, encourage student communication, and foster engagement in the physical education environment.
3. Delivering Instructional Feedback in Physical Education Settings
The ability to give effective feedback to teachers is a powerful tool in helping them grow in their instructional practices. In this lesson, we'll examine the components that make instructional feedback valuable to teachers in physical education settings.
4. Promoting Physical Activity in School & the Community
Are you aware of the many benefits that physical exercise can have on our schools and the surrounding community? In this lesson, we discuss ways to promote physical activity in both these venues and offer a variety of ideas to enhance health, fitness, and wellness.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Health & Physical Education (615): Practice & Study Guide course
- Mental & Emotional Health
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Relationships & Communication
- Types & Stages of Human Development
- Human Body Organs & Systems
- Sexual Health
- Diet, Nutrition & Health Problems
- Drugs & Substance Abuse
- Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Basics of Physical Education
- Overview of the Major Muscle Groups of the Human Body
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology & Fitness for Physical Education
- Motor Skill Development
- Sports, Physical Activity & Fitness
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- Volleyball History & Rules
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Outdoor, Adventure & Cooperative Physical Education
- Dance Concepts & Forms
- Creating Fitness & Exercise Plans
- Health & Physical Education Classroom Management
- Motivation in the Physical Education Classroom
- Physical Education Curriculum & Assessments
- Physical Education Planning & Instruction
- Equitable Physical Education for Diverse Students
- Professionalism for Health & Physical Education Teachers
- GACE Health & Physical Education Flashcards