About This Chapter
Communication & Collaboration in Virtual Teams - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons examine ways in which virtual teams communicate and look at why it's important to establish rules and procedures for communicating. You can use these videos to help team leaders and members explore the following:
- The importance of clear communication
- Common mistakes in virtual team communications
- Tools and rules for communication among a virtual team
- How to best utilize video conferencing
These lessons, used in group corporate training programs or on an individual basis, can help managers and employees understand the challenges of communicating in a virtual team setting. Multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson, along with a comprehensive chapter exam, let you assess their learning and help them reflect on what they've studied.
How It Helps
- Promotes communication: Short videos stress the importance of establishing clear channels and protocols for communicating among virtual team leaders and members.
- Ensures conformity: By learning the process and rules for communications, virtual team members and managers can make sure they share the same expectations.
- Examines video conferencing: Video conferencing can be vital for virtual work, and these lessons explore the advantages and disadvantages of this method of communication.
By the time they've watched all these lessons, virtual team leaders and members should be able to:
- Explain common pitfalls in communications among virtual teams
- Design rules for team communication and for using communication tools
- Understand how to best utilize video conferences
1. Communication Strategies for Virtual Teams
Communication is one of the factors that can make or break a virtual team. Having strategies to encourage and support the needed communication is vital for a virtual team's success. Use these tips to improve communication.
2. Communication Tools for Virtual Teams
Virtual teams are growing in popularity, requiring widespread implementation of communication tools to help the teams to be more effective. This lesson offers suggestions for using communication tools for virtual teams.
3. Video Conferencing for Virtual Teams: Benefits & Challenges
Video conferencing is an exciting way to connect employees and share information in real time. There are many benefits and challenges to meeting virtually; this lesson identifies several of each, and explains their effect on the success of video conferences.
4. Collaboration Tools for Virtual Teams
This lesson goes over some of the many collaboration tools virtual teams can use to improve their performance. These include Dropbox, Google Docs, and many more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.