About This Chapter
Communication & Decision-Making in the Hospitality Industry - Chapter Summary
Enjoy this in-depth examination of the basic communication and decision-making skills needed in the hospitality industry. These lessons help you understand the communication process, effective listening, and ethics in the hospitality industry. This chapter also explores the decision-making process in organizations and among managers. When ready, gauge your comprehension of these topics by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. In no time, you will be able to:
- Describe encoding, noise, feedback and other aspects of the communication process
- List and describe types of communication
- Identify barriers to effective communication
- Discuss communication skills needed in the hospitality industry
- Share the importance of effective listening in customer service
- Understand how to resolve customer service complaints and manage conflict
- Explain the basics of decision making in organizations
- Detail how managers work with risk and certainty to make decisions
- Outline the seven steps of decision making
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethics in the hospitality industry
1. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
2. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
3. Barriers to Effective Communication: Definition & Examples
Companies need to be aware of potential barriers to communication. In general, physical separation and differences in status differences, gender, culture and language can potentially either block or distort effective communication.
4. Communication Skills in the Hospitality Industry
The hospitality industry is a demanding sector that requires great communication skills in order to succeed. This lesson takes a look at communication with customers, between staff and management, and other general tips for effective communication in hospitality.
5. Effective Listening Skills for Understanding Customers
This lesson gives you a brief review of the importance of effective listening for the customer service field. It covers how to practice effective listening by showing empathy and acknowledging the customer, as well as some possible consequences if you don't.
6. Resolving Customer Service Complaints & Conflict
Dealing with customer complaints can be a challenging task, but when you have the tools to help you understand the customer's concerns and how to resolve them, the result can be a happy customer.
7. Decision Making in Organizations
Information systems support decision making in organizations. Understanding the nature of decision making can help in using information systems more effectively.
8. Decision Making for Managers: Certainty, Risk & Uncertainty
Making decisions with the most amount of certainty is something managers learn to do over time. In this lesson, we will review how managers work with certainty and risk in order to make informed decisions.
9. The Seven Steps of Decision Making
Effective decision-making is an essential skill for every manager. In this lesson, you'll learn about a seven-step process for effective decision-making. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality 101: Introduction to Hospitality course
- Hospitality Industry Overview
- Leadership & Management in the Hospitality Industry
- Key Management Functions in the Hospitality Industry
- Improving Service in the Hospitality Industry
- Planning & Organizing in the Hospitality Industry
- Control Systems & Issues in the Hospitality Industry
- Hotel Classifications & Operations
- Food, Beverage & Alcohol Operations
- Restaurant Organization & Operations Overview
- Tourism & Recreation
- Gaming Industry Overview
- Meetings, Conventions, Expositions & Special Events
- Studying for Hospitality 101