About This Chapter
Communication in Health Care - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for ways to better understand communication in health care, you've reached the right place! Lessons in this chapter explore how communication and quality customer service help create a positive environment for patients and workers in the health care field. Examine lessons at your leisure to enhance your knowledge of the following:
- Opportunities and challenges of communicating in a diverse work environment
- The importance of accurate communication between health care workers and patients/clients
- Ways to analyze health care records
- How to improve phone customer service skills
- Why the front desk is important in a medical office
- Reasons to use soft skills as a customer service strategy
This chapter's lessons are available as videos and texts and can be viewed any time, day or night. Use them to gain full comprehension of communication in health care. If you need additional details about the lessons, feel free to submit questions to our experts. When ready, take the short quiz with each lesson to assess your understanding of concepts covered. A practice exam is also available to gauge your comprehension of lesson topics.
1. Communicating in a Diverse Work Environment: Opportunities & Challenges
Today's workforce is a very diverse group, including people from all walks of life. This offers specific challenges and opportunities for communication within a company. In this lesson, we'll examine how diversity affects corporate communication.
2. Communication Between Patients & Health Care Workers
This lesson will define two types of communication used between patients and health care workers. The differences between therapeutic communication in the patient-health care worker relationship will be examined. Read on for more information.
3. How to Analyze Health Care Records
Analyzing health care records can be a challenging task! This lesson will discuss what health care analysis is, and how to properly perform the analysis of health care records.
4. Phone Skills for Customer Service
Effective customer service has a major impact on the overall health of an organization. This lesson will discuss several soft skills that phone customer service representatives should have.
5. The Importance of the Front Desk in a Medical Office
This lesson will go over one of the most important parts of any hospital, the front desk. What this is, who works here, and what they do and should not do will be discussed.
6. Important Soft Skills for Good Customer Service
This lesson focuses on the interpersonal, or soft, skills needed to provide great customer service. We'll spend some time discussing why these skills are important and how they can help you provide the best service possible.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Health Science for Teachers: Help & Review course
- Health Care History, Trends & Impact
- Math Applications in Health Care Science
- Physical Sciences in Health Care
- Basics of Health Science Research
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Formation of Medical Terms
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Digestive & Excretory Systems of the Human Body
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Human Nervous, Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- Biological Development in Psychology
- Microbiology in Health Science
- Pathogens & Disease
- Disease Causes, Control & Prevention
- Public & World Health Issues
- Aging, Health & Family Issues in Society
- Nutritional Information & Needs
- Issues & Disorders Related to Nutrition
- Therapeutic Concepts of Nutrition
- Pharmacological Concepts & Technology
- Mental Health Concepts
- Preventative Health & Wellness
- Medical Technology & Patient Care
- Health Care Safety Policies & Procedures
- Teamwork in the Workplace
- Health Care Education & Career Guidance
- Health Care Legal & Ethical Responsibilities