About This Chapter
Communication in Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter highlights the importance of managerial communication, as well as a few of the things that make managerial communications effective. Have your managerial employees complete the lessons of this chapter to review:
- Processes of communications
- Effective/alternative communications
- Importance of communication in management
- Downward, upward, horizontal and informal communication
- Four areas of business etiquette
After these lessons, your employees can take the quizzes that come with them to discover topics they may not understand and then return to the lessons to improve their understanding of those topics. These lessons and assessments can be completed on any internet-ready mobile device so that your employees do not have to limit their time working on them to their time at a desk.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: These lessons will help managerial employees become more aware of the importance of effective communications in the workplace.
- Improves managerial communications: With these lessons managerial employees will be able to identify ways to improve their communications skills.
- Enhances professionalism: A key to improving managerial communications is understanding professional communication, which can have other benefits for the company.
By the end of this chapter, managerial employees will be able to:
- Use efficient ways of communication
- Identify why managerial communication is important
- Follow business etiquette and communicate in a professional manner
1. The Communication Process
This lesson describes the process of communication. Terms such as sender, receiver, channel, encoding, decoding, noise, and feedback will be defined and explained with examples.
2. What is Efficient Communication? - Definition & Skills
In this lesson, you will learn what is efficient communication and how it can be mastered in business. While efficient usually means brief, this lesson will also address an alternative way that a message can be delivered if brevity is not suitable.
3. Managerial Communication
This lesson discusses the role of communication for management by detailing the various functions it facilitates. Why do managers need to be able to communicate well? What are the challenges in that process?
4. Organizational Communication
If you've ever had a job, you likely understand that there are different ways to communicate with colleagues and employers. This lesson describes the role of organizational communication in the workplace while defining terms such as downward, upward, horizontal and informal communication.
5. Business Etiquette In the Workplace and Beyond
The proper business etiquette is very important for workers to observe in order to create a professional workplace. There are four specific areas of business etiquette that provides a basic framework for a successful company.
6. Practical Application: Effective Workplace Communication Scenarios
Working with others requires engaging in effective communication. But how can leaders make sure their communication is effective? These scenarios will help you hone your communication skills and use the five elements of effective communication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.