About This Chapter
Communication in Relationships - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Communication is vital when developing and maintaining any of successful relationship. Without clear and effective communication, individuals can easily become disengaged and relationships can dissolve. This chapter takes a closer look at communication in relationships by examining successful relationships, relationship maintenance and the deterioration of relationships from a communication standpoint.
Lesson quizzes are available to test your comprehension of these concepts. Instructors are also available to answer any questions you may have about this chapter. After watching these video lessons, you should be able to identify:
- Communication used as relationships develop
- Functions of relationship maintenance
- Patterns of communication in deteriorating relationships
- The detachment process when relationships end
- Interpersonal and intrapersonal communication during relationship repair
|Successful Relationships: Characteristics, Development & Maintenance||Examine the characteristics, development and maintenance of successful relationships.|
|Communication During the Development Stage of a Relationship||Analyze how communication occurs and changes in the development stage of a relationship.|
|Relationship Maintenance: Functions, Strategies & Purpose||Discover the functions, strategies and reasons for maintaining relationships.|
|Ending Relationships, Disengagement Strategies & the Detachment Process||Study the disengagement strategies and detachment process when ending relationships.|
|Communication in Deteriorating Relationships: Causes, Effects & Patterns||Learn how communication changes in the deteriorating stage of a relationship. Examine causes of break-ups and communication patterns in this stage.|
|Communication During Relationship Repair||Take a closer look at how communication occurs and changes in the repair stage of a relationship.|
|Communication During Relationship Dissolution: Models, Causes, Effects & Communication Patterns||Evaluate communication during the dissolution stage of a relationship and learn how to deal with a breakup.|
1. Successful Relationships: Characteristics, Development & Maintenance
Be it work, friends, or family, making a relationship work is hard. Creating a solid relationship isn't much easier. This lesson will point out the characteristics of solid relationships and some advice for developing and maintaining them.
2. Communication During the Development Stage of a Relationship
The developing stages of a relationship can be rather precarious. In order to help us out, this lesson explains the relationship escalation model. It also highlights some communication guidelines for each stage.
3. Relationship Maintenance: Functions, Strategies & Purpose
In this lesson, explore the ways communication is used to maintain a relationship and discover how this changes for different relationships. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Ending Relationships, Disengagement Strategies & the Detachment Process
Unfortunately, the fact that romantic relationships end is just a part of life. In this lesson, we discuss some of the most common disengagement strategies that social psychologists have identified. We also discuss the detachment process that we all experience as part of a break-up.
5. Communication in Deteriorating Relationships: Causes, Effects & Patterns
Not all relationships lead to happily-ever-after. Explore the ways in which communication can cause relationships to fall apart and help put deteriorating relationships back together in this lesson.
6. Communication During Relationship Repair
How we communicate defines the success or failure of our relationships. In this lesson, explore the stage of relationship repair and test your understanding of good communication with a brief quiz.
7. Communication During Relationship Dissolution: Models, Causes, Effects & Communication Patterns
In this lesson, you will explore several aspects of communication as they pertain to breaking up a romantic relationship. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 102: Interpersonal Communication course
- Overview of Interpersonal Communication
- The Impact of Culture on Interpersonal Communication
- Perception & Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
- The Importance of Effective Listening
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Overview & Principles of Conversation Management
- Relationship Theory in Interpersonal Communication
- The Process of Conflict Management
- The Role of Power in Interpersonal Relationships
- Emotions & Emotional Expression
- Communication Between Family & Friends
- Interpersonal Communication in Love & Relationships
- Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
- Computer-Mediated Communication
- Studying for Communications 102