About This Chapter
Communication in Strategic Decision Making - Chapter Summary
You cannot make good decisions in business unless you can talk to people about how those decisions may affect your bottom line and your staff. This chapter outlines how communication plays a major role in the strategic decision making process. Go over how managers utilize communication strategies throughout different organizations. Let our instructors teach you about the different techniques and methodologies leaders use. Lesson quizzes are available to test your knowledge of each area, and the quiz worksheets can be printed. After you complete the chapter, you should feel prepared to:
- Summarize the methods used in managerial communication
- Critique organizational communication strategies
- Show why leaders require strong communication skills
- Determine the significance of building trust and commitment in strategic decision-making
1. Managerial Communication
This lesson discusses the role of communication for management by detailing the various functions it facilitates. Why do managers need to be able to communicate well? What are the challenges in that process?
2. Organizational Communication
If you've ever had a job, you likely understand that there are different ways to communicate with colleagues and employers. This lesson describes the role of organizational communication in the workplace while defining terms such as downward, upward, horizontal and informal communication.
3. Communication as Information Transfer within Organizations
At the most fundamental level, organizational communication can be thought of as the transfer of information from a signaler to a receiver via the use of a signal. This lesson explores that concept and details the important components of the process.
4. The Importance of Strong Communication Skills for Leaders
There is nothing more frustrating than a leader who doesn't have strong communication skills. Likewise, working with someone who values effective communication makes work more enjoyable. This lesson discusses the value of strong communication skills.
5. Choosing Your Channel of Communication: Oral, Written, Visual & Electronic
Sometimes how you deliver information is just as important as what information you deliver to an audience. It is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages to the four different types of communication channels: oral, written, visual and electronic.
6. Organizing & Developing an Effective Presentation
Preparing a presentation can seem difficult and overwhelming, but it doesn't need to be. In this lesson, we'll introduce the 'A.C.E.' acronym and explain how using it can set you up for a successful experience.
7. Importance of Building Commitment & Trust in Strategic Decision-Making
It is essential to build commitment and trust when involved in strategic decision-making. In this lesson, we will discuss the importance of strategic decision-making, commitment, and trust in an organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 316: Strategic Decision Making course
- Introduction to Strategic Decision Making
- Strategic Thinking in Making Business Decisions
- Decision Making Models for Business
- Statistical Tools for Decision Making
- Quantitative Tools for Decision Making
- Financial Data for Strategic Decision Making
- Technological Support for Strategic Decision Making
- Strategic Decision Making & Risk Management
- Group Dynamics in Strategic Decision Making
- Strategic Decision Making for Managers
- Decision Making in International Businesses
- Analyzing Business Decisions